No Go 1998 NB

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1998 NB
  2. I’m based near: Essex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:

Hi folks.
1998 NB 6 speed has stood with very low fuel (but not empty) since before xmas. Fitted fully charged battery & 10ltrs of fresh fuel but no go. Turns over well and even better when I paralleled a second battery but she will not fire. I’m mindful of not running the starter too long and have walked away. Any ideas ? As usual with any car, where do you start with a problem like this. Btw she’s stood for a lot longer than this in the past and not had any problem.

Start with the basics. Pull a plug and see if you have a big fat spark. If so, refit, turn over again, pull plug immediately again. Can you see/smell fuel?

1 Like

Fuel pump ?

My 2001 wouldn’t start after sitting for a month or so, thinking the car was just fighting due to being sat I tried cranking for a while then the CEL popped up on the dash, obd2 code showed a P1345 so I replaced the crank sensor and it resolved the issue. - I hope this may help, it took a while cranking to get the CEL to help me diagnose and I had the car running fine a few months previous so I was surprised the sensor had failed from being sat in the garage for a few months. Good luck!

The sensor must have a connector .
Imho, it’s very possible enough light oxidation could have occurred within the sensor to affect the signal

1 Like

Hi!

Yes the sensor connects onto the wiring loom via the connector, it was a £20 - 10 minute fix for me, from what I can see the sensor itself is an enclosed moulded unit but looked original so 20+ years old. I took a gamble at changing it from reading the code - I have got an oscilloscope and could have tried reading the pulse etc. but the suns been out so I’ve been put to work on other tasks! I just hope this may help theo get the NB going, nothing worse than putting it away with no issues to experience starting problems the next time you jump in!

1 Like

Indeed but imho, well worth giving the connector a good wiggling to clear any residual oxidation between the contacts, especially as the OP’s car was fine before being left sitting.
When I first got my 999, the front brake light switch wasn’t working, someone suggested wiggling the connector 8n front of the tank and hey presto!
The same applies to fuses, a fuse can be intact but not working due to oxidation between fuse and holder.
Blade fuses also need to be dead flat in order to make proper contact with the holder, a twisted blade is likely to give problems.

2 Likes

Hi folks.
Many thanks for the response regarding my no-go NB. Unfortunately I find myself in the middle of arranging my mothers funeral with all that this entails. So my baby will have to sleep a bit longer.

Very good suggestions, poor connector contact can definitely lead to nuisance faults! I did omit to include I used contact cleaner on the connectors, checked the loom for any visual damage especially where it is in close proximity to the belt and checked the gap from sensor to trigger wheel as I was praying for an immediate fix.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear that, my thoughts go to you and your family.

1 Like

Sorry to hear, will give you my process of electrical non start issues.
1 - ignition on does cel light, if not check engine (labelled) fuse in the dash fuse box.
2 - Check 12v in diag box
3 - check inj fuse in engine bay
4 - finally fuel pump relay in engine bay - this should click on with ignition - you can bridge the test function in diagnostic box to activate the pump permanently and i would listen for fuel and maybe air in the system, note if 1,2 and 3 are not present fuel will not help

There is no “cel light” on 1998 NB.