Noisey Bouncy Rock Solid Tyres

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk 3.5 __2009
  2. I’m based near: Halifax
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __tyres

Hi Everyone, i Have recently bought a 2009 mx 3.5. 2…0l, tyres are !! to say the least rock hard, i had a 1.8 2006 before this and the ride was far more comfortable, i don’t know if this is because off the wider tyres or just crap tyres [Maystorm 2, 205/50 R16] , it has got to the point where i may sell the car. firstly are these the correct size , and secondly is there a softer tyre i could buy, Thanks. Steve

Never heard of Maystorm.

I need to ask because you will get asked, what’s the pressures in those?

The 16" are supposed to be more comfortable than say 17’s, more rubber inbetween the rim and road.

1 Like

Had to look them up, Riken Maystorm, still didn’t help.

The 3.5 2.0L is quite likely to be on Bilstein shocks which are quite stiff, also has the car been lowered? Lowered and Bilstein can make for a firm ride.

As Mick says also check the pressures, 29 recommended IIRC.

Tyre choice is wide open and there will be many opinions, Kumho is my current preferred brand for an MX-5, there’ll be someone along in a minute to tell you how crap they are…

1 Like

^^^ I won’t got them on both my cars. :+1:^^^

I think the general advice would be when someone complains about the ride quality/handling…

Check tyre pressures first, check if you have a matching set of tyres and what condition are they in. Brand can make a big difference to the MX-5 so need a decent known brand (advice aplenty on that) and most important after the above has been sorted, 4 wheel alignment check.

2 Likes

Loads of people perfectly happy with mk3.5’s. Those Rikens have really bad reviews and i’m at a complete loss why someone would fit them to a fundamentally fine handling but tyre sensitive car. Check the date code on the side of the tyres they may be old stock as well. Check pressures as they may have been left with bead seating pressure if replaced recently.

thanks for the reply, 29 psi all round

thanks for the reply, not lowered

If the tyres are old this can have a big effect on ride quality versus a good quality new tyre,

I have been told that modern, low profile tyres generally need more pressure than earlier types.
This is apparently because the crown is naturally depressed or concave with no pressure, so extra pressure is required to make it flat, especially with the weight of the car on the tyre.
So, it may be that extra pressure is required to get a softer ride if you have stiff sidewalls
Counter intuitive Iknow…

The Maystorm is their sports but wet tyre but makes a play about how strong the shoulders are to take lateral loads. However it should not really make for a terrible ride. Drop it to 25 and see if it makes an improvement.