North Coast 500 - no fun anymore?

That’s definitely the reason re accommodation availability, foreign visitors. We did it last in 2019, wherever we stayed there was a definite mix of foreigners, one B&B had Belgiums, Americans, Australians then us around a large breakfast table in the morning. It was interesting, the Americans didn’t seem to get off to a good start with the Aussies.
Another B&B had a large group of Chinese, mixed with Americans and French.

So all these not coming in leaves plenty of room for us lot I suppose.

If anybody catches me and when I have a clear road ahead, I let them past, no question

Travelling west towards our overnight stop at Bettyhill, about 15 miles short we found the road ahead closed because of grass fires. We were forced to divert south, west and north again on what must be 40 miles of single track road.

Not difficult, and good views ahead most of the way so as we were going to be late for dinner we were cracking on at 60 or so on a road not much wider than the car.

We were rapidly caught by an old Passat, clearly local, whose driver seemed very pleased, perhaps surprised, that we (a) saw him coming, and (b) got out of the way. I just don’t understand why almost nobody does this - anybody who catches you is obviously faster, and who wants somebody breathing down their neck?

1 Like

We’ve just returned from the Ardnamurchan peninsular where just about all the roads are single track. However, there are police signs instructing motorists to use the passing places to allow overtaking. It was a bit like the blue flag rule in F1 as it seemed that only after going passed 4 places did they pull in, but no problems EXCEPT FOR THE MOTORHOMES!!!

The local Club was up on the North Coast yesterday and spent a bit of time on the official NC500 route from Tongue to Melvich and didn’t find the roads too busy. We were quite surprised as it was a glorious day. We had a really nice lunch at The Craggan Hotel which is just off of the main route at Talmine ( you won’t regret going down this road) so is well recommended. Also there is a new cafe in Melvich doing ice cream and coffee called the Coastline cafe.
Uploading: 9DD17D86-18E5-4D94-84F3-40F562560012.jpeg…
The ice cream is worth the journey alone! Located right beside the public toilets with a good parking area too.