Not wanted

don’t you just love it ,when somebody wants something, so you contact them, then send loads of pictures etc, they reply in the positive,

will call you next week, and you never hear from them…

Ah, the joys of selling something. I’ve had the delight of sealing with various (insert expletive here) over the years.

Gumtree and Marketplace on Facebook seem to be the worst.

One’s that come to mind over the years;

The idiot who bought on Ebay the old exhaust off my car, sold as collection only. He was in Gloucestershire, the other side of the Country from me. Yes he would need it delivered. That wasn’t an option with a part over 6 feet long as I couldn’t pack it and if it got damaged I’d be liable. The only negative feedback I’ve ever had on Ebay, from someone who couldn’t read.

The car I bought for my brother to tide him over for a couple of months only for him to turn his nose up at it. It was an 18 year old Fiat Punto with 10 months mot I bought from a friend, nothing special but it was legal and worked. I advertised it on a ‘cars for sale locally’ site on Facebook. The first three questions were the price, how much mot and what size was the engine. These were all in the advert title. Then came the stupidly low offers and “what’s wrong with it”. Luckily my mate saw it,  wanted a cheap runabout and after a quick test drive bought it.

The expert who told me the Honda 50cc moped I was selling for my wife was only worth £200 when it sold for over twice that on Ebay two days later. Looking at his feedback on Ebay he was a trader.

The person who agreed to come round for a tool I was selling but didn’t turn up over an hour after the agreed time. I then got a snotty message saying how I’d wasted his time by not being there when he came. I’ve no idea where he went as I never left the house while waiting, and it’s not a difficult place to find.

The person who asked if a 6 x 4 shed would fit in a Vauxhall Zafira.

Most people buying and selling items are normal sensible people. There are however some total dullards who expect something for nothing. Or those who have to be ‘spoon fed’ information as they can’t be bothered to read the title and advert, just look at the pictures.

The worst has to be the “Is this still available” on Facebook, then never hear from them again after replying.

All good fun. 

Yes…luckily there is some offset for the plethora of selfish, useless wastes of oxygen out there and you are more likely to find that(the offset that is) with MX5 owners.

Avoid facebook - magnet for wasted time and stress, buyers and sellers. Be selective on ebay, given the choice and develop a skin as thick as a Rhino - i’m still working on that despite the name.

I sell guaranteed, cleaned and refurbed parts, so considerable effort gone in and responsibility taken - perhaps 1 in 2-3 on ebay bother to leave feedback.

It’s car parts innit - only lowlife get involved so no respect.

Anyone want a mint, more or less as new MK1 electric aerial? It’s the best I’ve had in 15 years of these - a 2005 item stripped and photographed in detail. On ebay for high money that will put off plebs but worth it.       

PM’d you, 

I once sold an old Raleigh ladies bicycle on eBay, lovely condition. I’ve sold loads of stuff in past years but this one stands as the most weird. I said it’s a ladies bike, loads of pictures collection only, I live in South Derbyshire and put the postcode. Couple who bought it got lost travelling from York, they got on the wrong motorway and ended up going towards Birmingham. Seven hours later they turned up I was having my evening meal, they said they’d be there for 1pm ish. They turned up in a Ford Ka and started arguing between themselves how they would then get the bike in the car, I just retreated to fetch my spanners. The guy had the nerve to say he thought it was a man’s bike he’d bought, what a total pair of wasters they were. I unbolted the front wheel and slotted it in the car for them, they kept on arguing the whole time they were here. I just said have a good trip back, do you know the way? They were still sat at the bottom of my drive in the car arguing for around ten minutes before they left around 7pm. All that for a £30 bike.

PM back to you Robin.

I was going to put this on my car but current aerial fine and working and car average, so an indulgence.

This should go to you or another owner with a really good car. I would suggest dont but having repaired his aerial with a few problems it was also in the top five list of MK1 aerials stripped by me.

MK1 aerial immeasurably superior to MK2 but they all last far longer when packed with grease and cared for to some extent.      

Just been trying to sell a futon on gumtree, guy mails all very interested,says he will pay £100 for it by PayPal.agree to sell , then… I have just transferred £400 onto PayPal, can I transfer £300 to a bank account for him to cover the transport!!! Sent details to PayPal…and it’s a scam obviously! Pays to check doesn’t it.

When my late father-in-law, a printer and stationer passed away, my mother-in-law asked for help to clear out some of his stuff. She sold an old Adana printing press on Ebay, courtesy of my wife’s sister, about five years ago.

Some very pleasant chap asked a lot of questions about then bid and won it, for quite a decent sum. He paid for it almost immediately and as agreed said he would collect it.

She was still waiting well over a year later! Ebay were contacted for advice. They said they had never come across this sort of thing before but couldn’t offer any help because the buyer had de-registered. They suggested we waited a reasonable time and then dispose of it.

My wife says it eventually got sold a second time!

Maybe this person had an accident or something worse and is not with us any more. It does happen unfortunately.

Yes, that’s about all that we assume.

Not only buyers who are sometimes total rshls.

Bought an ND alloy 12 days ago on ebay and paid immediately by Paypal for the wheel and 48 hour delivery, still waiting for it after several feeble delivery promises from the business seller in Wolverhampton. Obviously I have now claimed for non-delivery through ebay but wasted several days waiting in to take delivery and will have to wait for a refund.

I’m selling a set of recently refurbed wheels and new tyres off my wife’s Mini and got a text at 03:17 last Sunday morning from presumably an insomniac. They apologised for the early text and asked could they come see said wheels that day. I didn’t see the text until about 10:30, but replied that that wasn’t a problem. 

Nothing…zero…zilch…nadda…

Unfortunately many people assume that everyone is connected 24/7 in this interweb age and can’t understand that their message may not have been read at the other end the moment they send it 

I’ve sold hundreds of things on ebay but i still have to smile at some of the request’s i get 

However i don’t smile about someone ruining my 100% feed back record through their own stupidity 

Having auctioned some “used” cricket balls as “practice balls” and clearly adding photos of them to the listing. The person who won them Complained that “they do not fit the description” as some were junior size and they were “very scuffed up”

They wanted their money back even though they weren’t willing to return them for the refund because of P&P cost 

The buyer only had a few transactions to their name but still managed to wreck my 100% feed back record.

Needless to say i have barred them from buying from me now