Notchy second gear

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk 2 NB
  2. I’m based near: Poole /Wimborne
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: _second gear selection

Hi guys
going up from first to second is notchy. Take it slowly and purposely engage second then there is no problem. First to second in a normal manner and its a notchy engagement.

Have recently changed the master cylinder seals along with new clutch slave cylinder. System bled free of air.

Adjusted free play in clutch pedals such that free play is now to the required tolerances with biting point approx. mid way through travel, all others gears are good.

Information and or thoughts will be appreciated :sunglasses:

5 speed or 6 speed? Turret oil and the refurb kit for bearings and boots is a good plan for 5 speed
not sure on 6 speed if it’s the same? The bushes and rubber boots are always a good start point.

I don’t think the RX8 derived (?) 6 speeders need topping up.
Ours has not in 15 years anyhow…2002 Sport.
We did put in sexy Castrol oil which was very worthwhile.

6 speed NB doesn’t have turret oil, it’ll just drop straight into the box if you try.
Good call now that you’ve gone so far to change the shift boots upper/lower it’ll certainly tighten up the slackness and notchy change between 1st & 2nd if they are perished.
Gear oil change too will help but ultimately you need to change slightly your gear shifting method, a pause between changes 1st to 2nd does help. I’ve got the 6 speed NC and a previous 6 speed NB and have had to adapt to the notchy changes when cold in those boxes.

I didn’t think the 6 spd had turret oil but it’s so long since I had mine I couldn’t remember :laughing:
Mick did you manage to get a new selector limit plate and fit it? If so did it improve the changes?

I haven’t inspected the one have fitted yet.
That’ll be later this month hopefully and I’ll decide if fitting new will improve things.
Car stuff hasn’t happened with me since this latest lockdown, hopefully the wheels will roll again end of March.

Some of the notchiness will be the ambient temperature ATM, it is still quite cold.