Oil change fun!

1. My model of MX-5 is: __nc1
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

after 2 years and 6000 miles finally got round to borrowing the neighbours pit, to change the oil and filter.
what a job!
sump plug came out ok - but no crush washer, had a ferret round the garage and found one in my bike spares.
oil filter was only accessible once i’d pushed the car forward and could hardly get in or out the pit and boy was it tight, didn’t have the right size drive to fit the socket so had a go with various straps eventually resorting to my faithful old chain wrench, applied enough pressure to crack the casing so no going back took a while but came off at last - lubed the new one and put it all back together with just over 4 and 1/2 litres of new oil.
job last done by the supplyng dealer when i bought it, not very impressed.
BUT don’t think I will be doing it again.

1 Like

Try doing it on your back, car raised on the driveway :weary:
Best tool I’ve found for the filter is the one below…

342BBF56-12F9-4BF3-882F-99B407DCCE29-large

I do my daily drivers service too (SEAT) the filter is in the top of the engine (a doddle) but the undertray needs to come off to access the drain plug properly, can’t win still have to grovel under the car somewhat, such fun.:grin:

1 Like

After years of struggling with various tools to undo badly overtightened oil filters (why do garage mechanics do this?), I found a pair of oil filter pliers, which work very well for many cars I’ve used them on. The advantage of these is that you use them on the side, rather than needing a lot of room at the outer end. They are inexpensive, too. Plenty of choice of eBay.