Oil dipstick and slight over filling?

Same here on both counts, every car I’ve owned done oil in the morning and never had a problem but must admit love reading these things.There’s a current debate on the FB group about NC turret oil, even though diagrams have been provided in the past people will still argue but sometimes think its people commenting on different models,gearboxes years etc. in the same thread confusing things.

1 Like

Here are my definitive answers:

Last post here: Bought newer dipstick - #13 by DuratecNC

And here: http://www.duratecnc.co.uk/?p=165

Here is turret oil and shift bush: http://www.duratecnc.co.uk/?p=728

I 've posted links before, you know where to find them. You’ve read them.
If you’re new here and haven’t, please do, it’s what they’re there for.
You can leave a question or comment on there, throw your sandals at the screen, whatever.

The reason I write those is so people can educate themselves with good factual information and so we don’t have to discuss the same topics over and over again on a daily basis on the various platforms.

I think I may write a blog on forum knowitall knownothings. You know the type, they think they know everything because they read it on the internet, not through being properly educated, trained and experienced.
Then they get all arsey when you point out the error of their ways. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Finally from me.
That wasn’t difficult was it.
Again, they are ALL just YOUR opinion and take on matters.
See, you just can’t help it can you, always have to be rude to someone.
As you prompted me, perhaps one day I will show you all my mechanical qualifications from 1976 until present, (which are not issued by the internet by the way as you know).
It’s just a matter of respecting other peoples opinions and to a vast degree no one is more right than the other.
Enjoy your weekend.

1 Like

It isn’t about being difficult, it’s about being utterly bored of the same thing over and over again. It’s also not wanting to bore the pants from everyone else or spamming this place by posting the same links continuously.
It isn’t opinion either, It’s fact, there is wrong and right. Here is another fact - considering the expansion of oil to be a factor worth considering when checking your oil is utter rubbish, it’s the most incredulous thing i’ve read all week.
Judging by what you’ve written I doubt you’ve ever seen inside an engine, definitely not one of these and if you had you didn’t know what you’re looking at anyhow.

Bruce & Mick have summed it up pretty well in their last few posts.

2 Likes

If anyone is in any doubt (As Emberrs asked) or not sure, then perhaps read the owners hand book Mazda MX5 for the definitive answer. Chapter 8 -18 “Inspecting Engine Oil Level”.
“I guess Mazda Motor Corporation Hiroshima Japan know a thing or two about engines too”.

1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level surface.
  2. WARM up the engine to normal operating temperature.
  3. Turn it off and wait at “least” 5 minutes for the oil to return to the sump.
  4. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert it fully.
  5. Pull it out again and examine the level. The level is normal if it is between Low and Full.
    If it is near or below Low add enough oil to bring the level to full.
  6. Make sure the O-ring on the dipstick is positioned properly before reinserting the dipstick…

Common practice amongst engineers and mechanics.

The absolute optimal situation (check for oil before starting first) is driving/running your car until warm and let it stand between 5 - 15 minutes. Then check the engine oil, then it will both have some temperature and the majority of the oil has drained down into the sump. Because a small expansion can happen when the engine oil is cold or warm.

This is the documented science researched from above post, (boring probably).
“All three states of matter (solid, liquid and gas) expand when heated. The atoms themselves do not expand, but the “volume” they take up does. When a solid is heated, its atoms vibrate faster about their fixed points”.

Likewise, I am not getting into insults about what I know or have done or hiding my posts which should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

I always thought and believed this forum was for us all (The MX5 family) to have various debates and give different opinions and seek advice, (perhaps not now…). With good natured polite comments and ideally with a sense of humour, (yes I did get drawn in). Of course, we all won’t agree on many aspects, but that is just life. Agreed, there are duplicated posts, but it is not always easy to find what you are looking for due to slightly different worded Headings/Titles. You don’t actually have to read them of course if you are really bored with it all.

Safe motoring all and enjoy the sunny weekend. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:.

5 Likes

Well said :+1: Whos the daddy

1 Like

Taxi for DuratecNc

I thought that was your final post on the subject?
This is advice from Mazda who designed an engine which burns oil then destroys itself and needs rebuilding between 60 and 120k miles. Also an unusable gearbox which can’t even cope with a standard powered engine.
It also states in their manual to put the wrong oil in the gearbox (GL5 in a 6 speed).
Right.

That’s what aftermarket solutions are all about, making right the mistakes the manufacturers built into cars.

Once again you’re taking something which is essentially very simple (putting a stick into a bath of liquid) and trying to make it complex and highly accurate when it isn’t.
I’ve written that already, but you took no notice.

2 Likes

To you.

1 Like

Locking as keyboard warrior egos are making this thread toxic, needs an oil change …

3 Likes