Oil & filter change after 1st 1000 miles?

We have 2 suzuki swifts, 2018 and 2019, bought new, both 1.2 attitude cars for commuting and shopping etc. Once out of warranty I switched it up to 5w30 and service them myself, only because the handbook and oil suppliers do offer it up as an alternative for the 0w20. That and the fact that I only need one brand and grade of oil across all of our cars now (mobil1) . So far they’ve racked up over 10 years ownership between them and aside from putting fuel in and some tyres they’ve been fantastic cars with no issues at all. They also seem to run a little quieter with the 5w30 but that’s to be expected when the original was thinner.

2 Likes

That’s fantastic. They are hearty & gutsy wee things…lovely mills IF looked after as you clearly do. They dont ask for much but seem to give their all. Mine reminds me so much of my tuned Downtown Mini 1340 cc Cooper S of yore…without the rust! It goes like utter stink…and it’s got …erm…b rakes!

1 Like

If we do chop one in eventually it will be for a sport. For the missus. She loves these little cars and I’m quite fond of them too. No frills, just everything you need and cheap running costs, insurance and reliable. What more do you need…

Not a fan of the new, post '17 shape. I was actually looking forward to it coming out at the time, until I saw it. Even more so when they decided a few years ago to make the Sport hybrid, slower, heavier and charge a fair chuck more.
Moreover, the new, upcoming (non Sport so far) facelift looks so ugly it’s unreal.

I had a MK1, '08 plate Sport for about 3 years. The engine was the best I’ve ever had on a car in terms of how freely it revved. The ride was punishing though, with a totally one dimension suspension and new GoodYear Eagles F1, the V tread ones, which were the OEM tyre.
It was pretty reliable though, given I got it at 7 years old and 48K miles. A touch of welding, a front bush and a stuck rear caliper over the 13K or so miles I did.

2 Likes

We love ours, so much so we got another.

1 Like

They seem to age well. However, the snout on the 2024 is gopping. Looks like a trout in it’s final gasps. Not even the Dealer is too happy with it. A lost opportunity. White and our Winning Blue were our favourites…and Winning Blue won out after some sleeepless nights! Only thing with the Sports is the amount if silly leccy toys. And no internal boot release plus a pissy wee horn!

1 Like

Had a look, I don’t like the new ones either. Would have to be the last of this generation if we did.

2 Likes

Anyway, back to oil! I’ve got 5 litres £56.00 worth of lovely expensive “champagne” Millers looking for a Mk2/Mk2.5 sump. I live in Stirlingshire. It’s free to a needy 5, pick up only. Also got an unused hood cover that was meant for an Artic…it’s a nice “RAF” blue…also free…pick up only. This is NOT a sales post…I’m giving it away. PM me. It all needs gone. Think I might have and unused & boxed fuel filter…not sure…FOC if I have. Just canny be bothered running up and down to the Post Office. Ill need a few days notice so I can go round my spare lock up and fish them out.

I’ve being drawn to MK1 adverts…now the cancer is on hold for a bit. Bad boy. Canny help it. But not when SWMBO is cruising about. :face_exhaling: Trouble is, the only ones I’d entertain now are garage queens or genuine well fixed & photo’d Mx5 Restorer sorts £6k to £10k honey pots. Even new imports are 2nd division now.

I agree with this, however, [car finance]is the only option for some people who can’t afford to take out a car at the full price, it deffo has its pros & its cons. I’m all for it, I just took out a new car on finance.

If you lease a car and you hand it back in a state not acceptable to the company involved there are penalties. I’ve gone through the whole lease thing, should I, what’s the drawbacks/positives side etc.
I’ve decided to buy one now, in fact it’s an ex lease car, low mileage meticulously looked after by the previous driver.
They want you to service them during the lease period and see to any not in warranty repairs, like wheel/body damage etc or you get hit with a charge.

I have bought three new cars on pcp finance but waited until they were 0%. If you fancy a car and there is a new model on the horizon they do start offering some cracking deals on current models. It’s how I got a brand new fully loaded optioned up mustang gt in 2018 for what an nd costs now.

I did not intend to be disparaging about financing a car in any way and I apologise if that was the inference. My point was that to some people always like a new car every 3 or 4 years and perhaps they don’t look after them as well as they should because they are not keeping them for the long term.

We got a cracking deal on our new MX5, 50% deposit & 4 years hp @ 0% from Mazda finance. No point in using more savings than you have to at that rate. They even gave us £750 discount in addition for already having a Mazda registered at our address.

I’ll hazard a guess and say that even if you didn’t have another mazda, that 750 would have been offered to close the deal. They love all that.

The £750 came from Mazda UK not the dealership.