Oil level check, cold or warm engine?

yep, we need some proper research as you suggest: hot dipper, cold dipper, light on topper, and maybe for real balance someone happy to never top, ever…

mate, when it comes to the MX-5 I take no risk at all. Check pretty much every journey, and bottle of top up oil in the boot in case I have to check mid run as well. :innocent:

But its different for the diesel daily on PCP which would would probably go for the entire length of your 3 year deal without you ever lifting the bonnet… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Absolutely NO offence intended, just following on from MickAP.
I am only joking and trying to have a bit of fun and make light of the comments.
FYI, I carry oil too and a spare low oil pressure warning light, (sorry).
Soooo, moving on. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:
Enjoy your day everyone.

2 Likes

none taken, this sort of stuff is keeping us going… me anyway… :smiley:

My daughter wants to know what a dipstick is.

It seems there are a few on here lol

Has she tried looking on Facebook, some on there?:roll_eyes::smile:

I laugh at myself sometimes, I dip the oil even though the car hasn’t moved for a month.:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Here’s one

2 Likes

And I bet you all do it more than once, in case the first reading is somehow wrong!

Daughter only asks husband to put oil in when ‘that little light flashes when I go round a corner’.

Let me guess?
Corsa / small Pug /so-called Mini / etc… :joy:

My wife bought a Citroen C5 brand new back on the day, was a ‘52 plate IIRC. It was a lowly LX spec but actually an OK car. Anyway,I digress, after about a year she mentioned that it was quite impressive that such an entry level model should have traction control? I too was amazed and asked how she knew, she said ‘cos a little light flickers when I’m pushing on round corners! :rofl: Turns out, was low oil level light :anguished:
Car was due a service, booked in and issue resolved. I blame myself for not paying much interest in “her” car. Needless to say not happened since. Car long gone now! Thankfully :rofl:
Barrie

1 Like

“And they say confession is good for the soul, I feel better for having confessed to my crime…”

Just say 3 “Oil” Marys and all will be forgiven.

4 Likes

That’s it, theres a few confessions popping up here and there on the forum. Everyone baring their soul :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
Barrie

I only jumped on it because being in the trade you would be amazed at the amount of people think that the oil light is a warning to top up the oil
I misread your post for that I apologise
for what you were doing you needed your arse kicking LOL

Interesting topic; possibly worth taking a little more seriously if you have a MK3 where there have been more oil related engine failures than the early cars.
I would suggest that there is very little difference between a warm dip and a cold dip but worth trying this out on your car a couple of times to be sure.
Cold oil will be less volumous than warm but more will have descended into the sump thus any anomally in reading likely offset. Well that is my theory anyway.

My cars are used so little the oil is clean, and a bugger to read on the dipstick. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

So really the perfect way to check the oil level would be to dip it cold, then drive for 15 minutes, stop, wait a bit and dip it again, then average the two readings?

1 Like

Seems logical, :+1: but too involved for me. :thinking: :face_with_monocle: :roll_eyes:

Latest BMW’s and other cars don’t even have a dip stick, so waiting for a light is not exactly uncommon.

2 Likes