Oil not changed in 5 years 6k miles (would you still buy)

Well done sometimes it’s worth taking a chance in life. You’ll love it. :+1::+1:

any pictures?

If it stop raining I will.

Like a number of other replies, if the oil hasn’t been changed, what else hasn’t been done in accordance with the service schedule…as by itself it isn’t a deal breaker but it does suggest lack of care… … Check the colour of the oil and look at the prior service records to see if all replacements such as fuel filter l gearbox/diff oil and brake fluid have been done to schedule, if not avoid!

Now home & ready for its big service.
(all fluids + new brake discs & pads)

2 Likes

Bought my second Mx5 this spring . No service for three years but it had only done 600 miles a year ! So I thought what the hell, and the oil was clean on the dipstick. Big service and it’s fine . Done 3k miles up to now .

Ooooo… Nice man cave. What is the red beastie?

It’s a DAX Cobra, I brought it part built, will finish it over the next 3-4 years!.

1 Like

Got similar plans on my “Do list”, but need a garage first!
I bought an MX5 as a donor car a few years back, and have been hooked on MX5s ever since…

With respect MickAP its 5 years where did you read 10.?

To assist, I think you will find that it was “Originally” 10 years and the poster changed it to 5 years. :+1:

I’m afraid I disagree with many of the replies here. The car has effectively done about 4000 miles. With modern semi synthetic / synthetic engine oil which is good for 20,000 miles this is nothing. If the vehicle is garaged and only comes out on fine days it should be okay. If you are not sure get a qualified mechanic to look the car over. Has it been MOTed annually? It tends to be things like brakes seizing that would be more concerning to me. There are people that will now start saying what about things like cambelts etc and to be fair I’m not sure what the service interval is on this car. Modern cambelts are made of synthetic and steal material they are not as fragile as the manufacturers will have you believe. Again it depends on how the car is stored when not in use. This is my personal view and many on this forum will disagree with me but I am a retired motor engineer.

Thanks…this does change things some what!! :wink:

1 Like

cam chain on mk3 :sunglasses:

The OP originally thought that it was that gap in oil changes, he’s since corrected his thoughts on that and looks like edited the post too.

Das68 has purchased the car, it is home and it is OK so perhaps it is time to close this thread.
:heart:

Hi There

I would assume the tires, battery and obviously the oil and filters would all need doing, also check that it is not near the bottom on the dipstick as the NC’s like to be kept topped up. But if its running quietly and not smoking on startup from cold there is a very good chance it will be fine.

Given the above I personally would take the chance as the mileage is low so hopefully the paint and trim on the car reflect this and offset the services costs , tires and battery.

Steve

It’s good to know the car seems fine, probably an update to this thread at a later date, why close it?

1 Like

Hi Das,
Well done on the purchase, looks like you have two lovely cars with great colours, you can’t go wrong with Winning Blue and Classic Red :wink:

Thought I’d update my old thread, I have now had the car on the road for a few months, many were concerned about the lack of service (not many miles but several years since its last service).
I gave the car a thorough service, including new brakes and tyres.
The car hasn’t since missed a beat, it’s as sweet as a nut and hasn’t used a teaspoon of oil. Engine pulls well, and revs very cleanly, gearbox is smooth, and feels like new.
I’ve just come back from driving the NC500 (1500 miles in total) , it was absolutely brilliant!.

6 Likes