Posh car

I have been having a look at my friends used car that he has just bought. It is a 4.8 litre Porche Su type vehicle The knobs ans switches and paddles on the steering wheel etc are amazing plus it is obviously an automatic. It takes a gallon of petrol to go 16 miles in it. New, these cars I am told are £100,000 + and he bought it with about 120,000 miles on the clock from a guy who was emigrating to Australia. Must dash out and get a lottery ticket tonight, I think.

Yeah, right.  Two words spring to mind:- “pointless” and “pretentious”.  That’s just my opinion of course.  No, it’s not jealousy, if I wanted one I’d go out and buy one!

Sounds amazing. I’m jealous because I can’t afford to go out and buy one!

Cayennes are cheap; used ones can be picked up fro well under £5k. A fair few are advertised needing a new engine. Underneath, its basically a VW.

Worrying incident; woman and her daughter found dead in one of these in Florida. The battery is fitted under one of the front seats. A fault in the venting system lead to it gassing the occupants while they were driving.

Well…What the hell, you can’t take it with you when the Grim Reaper comes a calling.  He will be using it to travel to Goodwood and places like that. He has a couple of Jags that he stripped down to the last nut and bolt, including the engine. and repaired and generally did them up to be as good as new. He is a proper engineer, not just someone who worked in engineering too.

A former neighbour has one, a 2011 model from what I remember.

I don’t usually take any notice of cars like this but having a look round I was impressed with it.

He is one of the nicest blokes I’ve met, down to earth and even does some of the maintenance on it.

He got it for when he visits his daughter in Switzerland every few month.

Oh, nearly forgot to mention. He’s 80 this year.

If you want one, do it. Life is too short.

And don’t worry about the battery.

Yes there was an incident a couple of years ago where a mother and daughter were overcome from hydrogen fumes given off by an incorrect battery for that vehicle. I doubt the vents were fitted to the battery and if the correct battery had been fitted it wouldn’t have happened.

They aren’t the only car to have batteries fitted inside the cabin area, it used to be common for them to be under the back seat, for example Vw Beetle and MGB GT.

The Citroen Xsara Picasso has the battery under the passenger seat like the Porsche.

"They aren’t the only car to have batteries fitted inside the cabin area, it used to be common for them to be under the back seat, for example Vw Beetle and MGB GT.

The Citroen Xsara Picasso has the battery under the passenger seat like the Porsche."

im sure I read somewhere that mx5’s need battery venting too? ( well, at least the older ones?) 

Barrie

No, you can’t take it with you, but I have other interests that to me are better value for money.