Pothole advice

I bought a new Toyota Corolla 2 ltr GR Sport in Oct 23. I had 700 miles on the clock and hit a pothole doing around 20mph, it knocked my steering wheel slightly off horizontal when driving straight ahead. The car still drove straight and true.

Took the car into my supplying Toyota Dealership. They carried out a four wheel alignment check and realigned the steering and tested the car, overall it took around 1.5 hrs. They charged £99 which I didn’t think was too bad for a main dealer.

I filled in a report form to my local council, and supplied photographs of the pothole / date / time etc and my dealership invoice. After two months they came back to me and would not pay out for my claim as the road had been checked some months previously…absolute waste of time

1 Like

Well, it does say ‘ARAF’ - that’s Welsh for ‘pothole’ isn’t it? :wink:
Keep a lookout all around both sides of the tyre for any bulges developing. You’re probably OK but a thorough check would involve taking the tyre off to check inside too. Any steering shake? Handling a bit off (geometry)?

If you have an issue you can try claiming on the council’s insurance - it’s a national industry these days.

As someone who had to have Professional Indemnity Insurance I think I’m right in saying that, first, you have to prove that the local authority is negligent. If they accept liability and pay out they claim it back off their insurance, less hefty excess.

It’s not like claiming for a roof tile that’s blown off.

Roads are really rough in Mid Cheshire, both my previous 5’s and my current Spider have had a torrid time with Potholes. Recently reached the point were I know the location of them on my normal travels however, there’s always a new one to catch you out. Currently it has cost me 3 decent tyres.

Well, since my last post, they have filled the pothole! The only problem is that it’s ■■■■ job and its disintegrated back to how it was…

Now you know where all the scrapings off the bottom of a budgie’s cage end up.

2 Likes