Prescription for fresh-air therapy

Hello,

I actually signed up here quite a while back, but with one thing and another needed the admins to sort something out and then didn’t get around to it. The forums have been a very helpful resource for me, so it’s only fair that I say hi.

About 18 months ago, I decided that I had had a particularly unpleasant 18 months or so, and having a couple of spare shekels, decided to buy a completely unnecessary car and have a bit of fun. I had wanted an MGB for years, but with one thing and another I simply would not be able to hit it with a spanner every other weekend as it would be likely to need - plus, to get a decent one that isn’t a rot-pit you need to start spending reasonable money. Others considered were a Merc SLK and Honda S2000 (I am something of a Honda fan). The MX-5 wasn’t really on the list originally, but delving into bang-for-your-buck, servicing/maintenance costs, and reliability ratings, I almost reluctantly concluded that the MX-5 was a very clear winner. No idea why I was initially against an MX-5, but decision made, I had found an NB/2.5 at a local dealer that looked the business. Beautiful car, Soul Red, and… sold that morning :-/

“Actually, we have another one coming in a few days, 2010, and…”

With a bit of humming and hawing, I asked them to call me when it showed up, and they never did. Later, I found out that it had gone to auction instead with an MOT laundry list as long as your arm…looks like it had been bought and thrashed daily for 12 months.

As the above had established what I was looking for, I jumped on a well-known car trading site and found an almost identical car, but considerably more loved. The result is a 2010 Miyako 1.8L in silver. She’s a looker.

Is there a metric for smiles-per-mile? Because if there is, I think it’s a winner. Even allowing for lockdowns etc. it has got a fair bit of use - if you’re allowed out once a week, why not take the fun car - and I have discovered a strange liking for midnight winter drives with the top down :wink: Hopefully we can soon start to go further afield.

It has had a few minor improvements - RX8 wiper switch, new front speakers, new headunit, Kumho PS71s, and just this past weekend a load of sound deadening and new rear speakers. As above, the forums have been very helpful in all the above.

Here’s to many more happy miles…

Cheers,

Jeff

15 Likes

Welcome along :+1:

1 Like

welcome.
very tidy another one that’s older but looks better than my 2013!
seriously i need to get my calipers painted they really let down my whole look

Welcome and thankyou for sharing your story.
I’m fascinated by the top down midnight runs.
I’ve wondered whether anyone drives top down at night. I did it driving back from the Silverstone classic in 2019 but that was summertime (ish).

Enjoy your car and the forums :+1:

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Liking the grey wheels! Did you get them refurbed and tinted?

Definitely, on a dry clear night with the right clothing for the season it’s a great way to enjoy the car.

6 Likes

Driving top down under a sky completely full of stars is one of my favourites, not often possible, but eagerly accepted when offered.

It brings back very happy memories from my biking days.

And in the car (with a sensible exhaust that doesn’t wake up the neighbours), one can hear the insects and owls as well.

Simply wonderful.

4 Likes

the previous owner had them refurbed to a graphite color.
sadly they need doing again as the insides are a mess and iv curbed em

Thanks for the welcome, all
@Thibor in fairness, mine is seldom that clean! I love your alloys.
@TOGs_driver Working on the basis of, if it’s not raining and I’m not on the highway why have the roof up, it actually started on a trip back from the supermarket in the dead of night. Side windows up and taking advantage of the phenomenal heater, it’s quite civilised in the cabin at about 50-55. There is a huge sense of space above your head which feels quite strange in a car - moreso than during the day for some reason - and you get a great display of stars etc. if you’re on a road away from street lighting. Of course, you can’t spend too much time looking as you have to focus on where you’re going, and around here, keeping an eye out for suicidal deer! I really enjoy it - fresh-air therapy after spending days stuck inside.

Cheers,

Jeff

4 Likes

Prescription written, just got to wait 2 weeks for it to come in! :sunglasses:

Roof down is the default for me. The only exception is if it is raining, or rain is expected imminently. The heater in my 2003 Mk2.5 daily driver is good enough to enjoy top-down driving most days here*, with a wooly hat and a pair of driving gloves always in the car in case it gets very cold.

What’s the point of a convertible if you’re going to drive with the roof up? :wink:

* Whaley Bridge, on the western fringe of the Peak District

3 Likes

We had a chap shout over to us in Bakewell this week, we were just lowering the roof to drive off. No chance for me, it’s too cold he shouts. He went on to tell us he has an MR2 which he was walking back to. It has the targa top, no way he says does he drive it with the roof panels removed if you need a woolly or jacket on outside.
We drove back from Buxton in the dark, top down it was lovely but you get some strange looks from passers by.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanations and experiences all. Like many of us, I like to get the top down as often as possible but haven’t driven at night much.
Two main reasons, the lights of the NB aren’t great and during the summer it’s way past my bedtime :wink:
During the winter I fit a hard top on mine so can’t really take full advantage of night time drives.
Perhaps next summer I’ll make a point of doing it more.
Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome :grinning:

Club Members Will Appreciate Your Perseverance re Purchasing an MX5 :+1:

What a Journey You’ve Had :crazy_face:

Cool Avatar :sunglasses:

Mine is NB 2.5 Icon and the Heating Knocks Me For Six :face_with_thermometer:

So No Probs Roof Down 24/7 :joy:

[OK …Advantage of Being a Bit Cuddly and Personal Heating System :shushing_face:
Courtesy of Ladies My Age :hot_face:]

You’ve Made a Fab Choice with the MX5 …But Then I’m Somewhat Biased :innocent:

3 Likes

I was driving towards the Lincoln ring road one night last year to visit my daughter, when the phone rang - hands free of course!

“Dad, it sounds noisy, have you got the roof down? It’s minus 2!”

Yep, but the freedom! The clear, crisp night air, with a bobble hat and jacket. And if all else failed, the heated seats remained as a fall-back option.

Bliss.

5 Likes

These tales have definitely piqued my interest. Always up for new ways to enjoy my 5 a night time jaunt sounds just the ticket.
When’s the next full moon?

@Mike-MX5-Racer have you driven the new sections of the Lincoln ring road? Some of the vistas are quite enjoyable and it’s fascinating to see the city from different viewpoints.

RE: Night drives with the top down, its funny you should mention this, as on many occasions I’ve said to my wife I’d like to go for a drive with the top down in the early hours of the morning , and maybe ending up somewhere on the East coast to watch the sunrise, but we’ve never got round to actually doing it, sounds good, really need to do it.
We’re up in Lincoln the end of next week for a couple of nights, to visit the Cathedral, Castle , and Steep Hill etc, got a B&B near Metheringham, never been to Lincoln before, , looking forward to it :blush:

2 Likes

I hope you enjoy your stay :+1:

If you ever get a chance to call over for that sunrise excursion Huttoft car terrace might make a reasonable viewpoint to watch the sun come up. You could try to count the wind turbines :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Agreed. The drive to Whitby, past where the Fylingdales domes used to be, is well worth the effort too.