R.I.P Murray Walker

Just seen this - The legend of motoring commentary has passed away… R.I.P Murray Walker…
97 wonderful laps…!

5 Likes

Sad news, god bless you murray

“He took the lead, he stayed there, and Damon Hill exits the chicane and WINS the Japanese Grand Prix, and I have got to stop because I have got a lump in my throat.”

Best commentary. Ever.

R.I.P. Murray Walker. Legend.

4 Likes

A great lost to motor sport RIP Murray.

It’s go go go! R.I.P

RIP Murray.
The “Greats” are on the Grid waiting for you with bolly and laurels to the sweet toffee scent of old school Castrol.
Dont keep them waiting.

5 Likes

R.I.P. Murray.
I met him a couple of times, and he was such a lovely man.

3 Likes

R.I.P. Murray. Legend!

Inimitable and unique. There’ll never be another.
Privileged to have listened to his commentary.
RIP Murray Walker.

A great commentator! A real character! An enthusiastic enthusiast who could make even the dullest race an event! RIP Mr. Murray Motor-racing Walker, wonderfully unique!!!

2 Likes

When Murray retired from F1 commentating, Martin Brundle had the perfect retirement gift made for a great commentator; a trophy in the form of a silver lip mic standing on on a base. We were asked to send the silversmith a real mic to model it from, and I was able to advise them that Coles still make and sell every last part of the mic, right down to individual brass screws, thinking it might be easier for them to buy many of the parts and silver plate them.

They sent us a framed photo of the finished trophy and it looked bloody fantastic. Still got that pic at work.

10 Likes

I spent a wonderful 5 minutes talking to Murray at the Festival of Speed years ago whilst both of us were drooling over a Jag XJR-9 Le Mans car. I didn’t realise it was Murray at first, it was just another car fanatic talking about great cars. Lovely man, he will be sorely missed.

2 Likes

That’s a measure of the man. Could have had a couple of minders clearing everyone aside for him. That wouldn’t have been him though, he saw himself as ‘just another car fanatic’. I remember when he retired and everyone was giving him a wonderful send off he just looked puzzled as to why he was getting the special treatment.

1 Like

My 30 year old daughter has just described Murray as “the voice of her childhood”, she used to sit and watch/listen with me. R.I.P Murray and thanks for the memories.

2 Likes

I don’t think he ever realised the part he played in millions of people’s motorsport history, from the early days of motorcycles to the most respected commentator in F1.
A long life well lived.
RIP Mr Walker.

2 Likes

I’m sure a lot of the young drivers, other team members and members of the wider F1 circus have probably shown their appreciation over the years. Here’s just one comment on his passing.

Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton also paid tribute, saying: "So sad to hear of Murray’s passing. I remember growing up hearing your voice over the races. You made the sport so much more exciting and captivating.

“The iconic voice of our sport and a great man, thank you for all you did, you will never be forgotten. Rest in peace.”

1 Like

End of an era, we’ll never see the like again.

1 Like

A true gentleman and a huge personality. I admit to being a little misty eyed this morning.

I’ve gone off F1 and before I only ever watched it because of Murray Walker. Sad to say but true, his best if I had to choose were the Mansell years a true great in the world of sports presenting.:racing_car::racing_car::racing_car:

Legend is used far too often nowadays, but he does fall into that category, very sad.