Radiator fan not kicking in and overheating mk1

Does the fan work?

Fan still didn’t kick in at any point. wouldn’t have thought new sensor would be faulty? I did spruce the thermo housing cover with high temp paint during rebuild, would that be affecting the earthing for sensor?

It does earth through the body so depending on your application of paint it might. Bloody unlucky though I’d say. Have you got a ground path from the body of the thermo switch and a body ground?

Might check again today around where the sensor screws in to housing cover, to make sure paint isn’t affecting it there, though would have thought bolts that go through to
lower part of thermo housing would make good ground with cylinder head as that is brand new too. Did just find a read article about that fan won’t kick in till temp reaches 108! Which engine probably didn’t reach just idling.

The cover may be getting a good ground but the switch still needs to ground to the cover. Once an engine is warm (thermostat opened), I usually hold it at a fast idle of around 2000rpm for a minute or so then let it drop to a natural idle for a few seconds and repeat that process to get the cooling fan to cut in quicker. Checking the temperature gauge regularly obviously.

Ok thanks will look at trying that then, am awaiting a thermometer reader, so can check temps more clearly as don’t want damage engine, after months of work put into it!