Rattle frustration

From a cold start I cannot detect a rattle, but within a few miles when things warm up, there is a brief frustrating rattle between 2,000 and 2,200 revs in every gear.

It is difficult to track down, but on balance I think more to the rear than the front. It does not seem quite so intrusive though when the roof is down.

Any suggestions please? Could it possibly be the backbox if it is a rear noise…?

Does it do it when stationary?
If so, maybe you could use an improvised stethoscope to pinpoint or narrow down where its coming from.
A length of plastic plumbing pipe perhaps??
If I had to guess, I would suggest the exhaust heat shield as a potential culprit but thats a totally wild guess

Thanks for that. No joy yet, but I will keep on trying.

1 Like

I was unable to locate the rattle, except now it sounds like a can of marbles being shaken, and coming from mid chassis - feels like directly under where the seats are, between 2 and 3,000 revs. Going to MX5 City tomorrow to investigate.

I had this issue on my MK3, turned out to be one the guards/braces near the gearbox, underneath the car. The bolts came lose and it was just enough for it to vibrate and rattle.

Was a very tinny noise, almost like a rattle snake tail with a metallic tone.

1 Like

Thank you. Fingers crossed that is all it is. Will let you know what the garage says.

1 Like

Who would have thought this little piece of metal would cause so much noise!?