Rattle

I have a rattle coming from under the car.

It is very annoying.

Please help a complete beginner.

Hi Ya

Probably one of the heat shields or stones trapped in the cat shield

Fergy

Check your Manifold down pipe mate - theres a heat shield facing forwards - its common as muck

I have looked at those areas …seems ok to me.

Could it be suspension ?

Could be but at the N Thames tech day we did find stones in the wrapper shield around the cat, we ended up removing it. It was only noticed when i stood under the car while it was revved. The shield was not loose but gravel had entered through the small holes.

Fergy

I did find two small pieces of gravel in the shield to the disc…but it was still there.

Yeah my car was one of the ones which had the heat shield ‘surgery’ on the tech day and it certainly cured my rattle!

I’ve got a gravel driveway, and because the car is pretty low too it seems to have scooped up a few stones in it’s time, which were then wedged inside there! Tapping the shield with a screwdriver or something gave the same noise i could hear when driving.
 I had first thought it was the brake shields too because i used to have that problem on my mini, but they made no difference at all.

lets have a poke at your car mate at the next monthly meet

I now suspect a discarded 02 sensor that used to reside in my cat. Since fitting the de-cat

it no longer uses this part. I shall try and place it somewhere where it cant meet any metal part.

[quote user=“TCP/IP [10.0.0.2]”]

I now suspect a discarded 02 sensor that used to reside in my cat. Since fitting the de-cat

it no longer uses this part. I shall try and place it somewhere where it cant meet any metal part.

[/quote]

You can unclip that heat sensor from the loom under the car if you want to get rid of it.

that discarded O2 sensor is the Japanese HEAT sensor, can just be unplugged

Fergy

Unplugged eh!

I will check that out soon enough …:slight_smile:

Added 19 Nov 08 ----- I have spotted the plug in along the loom a bit. I will remove the offending item.

That was a dirty little job removing that…Still it is done.

While I was under it I tapped a few things with my hammer, as you do.

I have noticed that the exhaust pipe prior to the de-cat has a heat shield built onto it. As I

tapped it the vibration noise it made was horrid. This might have been the culprit, as I was under the car anyhow

I got a rather large jubilee clip and secured it round the rear part of the exhaust, this seemed to be where it was

at it’s loosest. We shall see…Hopefully.