Reality check

Had a lovely Rx8 from nearly new in 2007 but had to sell as wife struggled with the clutch and town driving. Always promised myself i would get another as a second car in the future but fell in love with our ZSport instead.
Well…a really nice Rx8 R3 in my favourite blue, enthusiast owned car has just gone up for sale near me. Heart is saying oh yes but for once head is holding me back at £570 road tax and high running costs etc on a car i will only do 1 to 2000 miles a year in. Um dilemma :kissing:

Only one person can answer your dilemma… :sunglasses:

Your life, you can only use it once…if you can afford it and want it…

At the risk of having another post deleted, I’d have to say that other than the “standing charges” of road tax and insurance, the costs of running the car won’t hurt too much given your expected mileage. Even if it only does 20 mpg, you won’t spend a fortune on fuel. Also, depreciation shouldn’t be an issue, and I used to lose £7k+ a year on premium brands for very low mileage (hence a Suzuki now and MX5 for fun).

570 for the year is a lot. That’s what we pay for my wife’s TT. She does 1800 ish mile a year in it. We sorn it over the winter (NDJFM) so the tax bill goes down. I also sorn it when we are going to be away for a large portion of the month, no point paying 50 quid road tax for it to sit in the garage. That brings the tax bill down to 300 a year which is a bit more palatable.

1 Like

£570 does sound a lot for road tax, but for me, I think I’d be more concerned about other potential costs from running an RX8 to be honest.
But if it’s what you want and the car has been looked after, then why not? Would you regret it more if you didn’t buy it?

Phil

1 Like

I have known people who spend £4-500 a month on going out drinking!

Think of it as a hobby, golf, fishing etc can all cost hundreds + a month. If this is what you enjoy then it is worth it.

Well that’s put the kibosh on things. Talked myself into going to view the car then at a wedding on Friday fell in the grounds and dislocated elbow with a fractured joint and dislocated fingers so told arm in plaster for 6 weeks or so.

Oh dear, hope all that mends ok👍
Is it something telling you no don’t look at that car?:thinking:
Best wishes

1 Like

Thanks Mick, come at a bad time, helping son renovate his house and pre launch work on a river cruiser we have. More annoyed i can’t drive for a while. At least being an early retiree no real work obligations.

Car sold over weekend so that’s put that one to bed but deep down i think i would have missed the fun of open topped blasts over the Cotswolds where i live.

Cotswolds, lovely must get down that way more this year.
Used to travel a good deal through on our way to Wiltshire and stop off at the usual tourist places but now our daughter is mobile she tends to visit us now more so.

Getting back to car stuff, I’d love a big Jag, always wanted one of my own. When I was a young lad my boss let me drive his, it was between his different companies I was sort of a relief driver if there was no one else. He even let me drive his Rolls one day but for years I yearned to have my own Jag.
Wind on over 40 years later now I can possibly afford a nice Jag I shudder at the running costs, the wife also keeps reminding me where are you going to keep it :thinking:

Don’t worry, 18 to the gallon will make the road tax look cheap. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yea there is that as well Nick.
With a confirmed broken elbow and poss need an op I’ve just Sorned the car, wife won’t drive it due to a back/joint illness so stuck with the auto Vitara and being cheaufered around for 6-8 weeks :scream:, she drives so little on way back from Gloucester hospital it was only the second time in 38 years of driving she has drove on a motorway !! felt like a driving instructor on the way home.
Will miss the top down sunny day blasts which has convinced me to try and forget about an Rx8.
First fracture in 64 years so roll on Spring :slight_smile: