Rear Big Brake service

We have a MK2.5 Sport, with the big rear brakes. It faild MOT on rear brakes and garage are quoting over £400 to sort it, saying it needs rear callipers because the piston won’t wind back far enough to put in new pads.

I think that they are most likely dirty and need a strip and clean, rather than spending on new callipers. Am I correct?

So, doing the job myself. If I need to do a strip service, will I need a winding tool to reset the piston for the hand brake? If so is it a spacial tool, or a generic one?

Val.

It sounds like they did not slacken back ALL the handbrake adjustments!

The pistons wind back by using an allen key that is covered by a 14mm cover bolt on the back of the caliper.

It may well be that your garage does not know about that or they do, I cannot tell that.

Rebuilding calipers has a few tricks you need to use to get the seals replaced and for the caliper not to leak.

You would also need to purchase a seal kit for each one and if one has gone the other side tends to do the same in a few months time.

I have no idea about your knowledge of rebuilding MX5 rear calipers but unless you have done it before, I would not suggest you do it yourself unless you have someone there to keep you on the straight and narrow the first time.

If you also need a new piston due to rust and these cars are say 17 years old it is more sensible to get a recon unit.

Seal kit here.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/rear-caliper-seal-mk25-brake-p-2921.html

Agreed with Richard was the cable completely free at the handbrake end as this needs to be done as well as winding back the internal caliper adjuster with a 4mm allen key.

Thanks for the advice guys. I got a call from the garage this morning. Seems the initial mechanic is not experianced with the MX5 rear brakes. Another mechanic showed him his error.

All now sorted £200 odd saved Phew!

Ta Val.