Rear window tint

I’ve always said if there was one thing I would change about the mx5 it would be to make everyone else’s car lower. Ok so that doesn’t make sense but it’s the other cars that are the problem not the mx5, right?

I’m tired of led lights dazzling me from behind mainly from SUVs and vans. My solution was to tint the rear window, like sunglasses for your car, for at night time (that are glued to your face :thinking:) nothing too “gangster” just like a 50% or something. But I’ve never driven a car with a tint and have no experience with it.

Has anyone tried this? Would it be worth it? Would it just look ■■■■? Would it obscure view too much?

I know it would be super awkward on that window and I’m lazy so would prefer to not take it off if it’s rubbish after going to the effort so any opinions would be welcome

I’ve not checked my but do most rear view mirrors have a flip anti glare function?
Failing that a shade for the mirror when driving at night or tint the mirror.

Autodimming mirror

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rearview-Monitor-4-3inch-Dimming-Bracket/dp/B07WNHHFVD/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B07WNHHFVD&psc=1

There will be other kits, and its possible someone has done a write up for a NA MX5/Miata.

Avoid whenever possible.

Our 2016 Mazda3 hatch has tinted rear windows and screen and auto-dimming mirror as standard. (Why?)

Rear visibility is simply awful, reversing is a nightmare.
So I fitted a reversing camera, so much better.

Auto-dim mirror is unpredictable, never right.

Side mirrors do not auto-dim so one is still blinded even though the car is so high it’s almost an SUV. So these tend to be set to aim down a bit, helping with parking and avoiding the dazzle but not seeing far enough back to be useful for lane changing or over-taking. Pain.

Given the choice I would never have tinted windows, and very much prefer manual control of the interior mirror’s dim.

2 Likes

The ND 30AE has an auto-dimming rear view mirror (Not sure about other ND2 models) don’t use it though 'cos I don’t drive at night - bad night vision!

I have the full wind break from Mx5 parts , it totally covers the rear window and is tinted , works well as a wind break and also to take away glare

1 Like

My Dad hated the car behind not dipping their lights, so he used to ask my Mum to “adjust her make-up”, by aiming the passenger sun-visor mirror to reflect the high beam from behind back to where it started.

It was quite surprisingly effective.

At the time a copper friend in his card school suggested it might be illegal if done deliberately, but a woman is always entitled to adjust her make-up.

ND1s have it too, have to switch it off every time I drive in the dark, can it be permanently disabled?

1 Like

I switch if off every time I get in the car! I had a look and can’t find any way to permanently disable it :angry:
Seems to be its own sensor and not linked to the main computer and settings screens

1 Like

Hi Ian. That confirms the conclusion that I’d come to! :+1:

I use my electric mirrors to reflect the headlamps backwards.
I have toyed with the idea of covering the back of the car with retroreflective tape to dazzle them back.
Silver reflective window film is the best bet though.

For general driving tints are fine, it only becomes a problem if you need to do a lot tight space parking at night. I bought a car that was fully tinted with the notion to remove the tints, but I never did. I actually quite liked the privacy.

You can get tint sprays, they are colored lacquer I believe and do come off with basic chemicals, petrol being one of those.
Adding tints via film seems much more tricky, hard to keep the air bubbles out and any imperfections in the glass/plastic window might be highlighted by the film.

Ok, thanks for the input. Still not sure what to do, got pretty set on the tint but then most people recommended against it. Despite what I said originally I might try it then take it off if I don’t like it

I do have the anti glare flipper in the mirror but I don’t really like using it, don’t know what it’s like in the towns/cities but you can’t see anything other than the lights of the car behind out here in “t’countryside” and maybe the tint would be the same… but then again you can’t see anything through the mirror anyway when there’s nothing behind you because it’s too dark :roll_eyes:

See! This is what goes through my head and why I have to ask questions, haha
Ah well, c’est la vie

I have tinted both my previous ND2 and the current one, I don’t remember the last car I had that wasn’t tinted.

My car has reversing camera and led reversing lamp, I have no problem reversing at night (semi rural area with not street lamps).

Why not buy a small Sheet of Tint film and fit yourself. You probably won’t be able exclude all the air bubbles yourself but you will find out if it prevents you being dazzled. If you it works for you you can then have it done by a professional, not going to cost much for one small window.