Recommendations for track day tuition

Hi there,

I’m starting to plan for the year’s entries to track days.

One thing I told myself would be to get some good tution.

Just wondering whether anyone had any recommendations on tutors/track day operators? I’ve tried Javelin and OpenTrack.

I don’t want to mention the name but the last trackday I went on had free tutoring for 30mins and I found the instructor impatient and not very helpful in helping me improve but you get what you pay for I guess.

I was initially looking at doing Snetterton or Bedford in my MX5 NB and was thinking whether to pay for a good tutor to be my additional driver and to tutor me through the day or whether to go for a company who uses a good one.

People here recommend MOT at Blyton but wondering if there any reviews for their tutoring or others? Would like to hear your stories.

There is a vast difference between a 20 minute session and a dedicated instruction day.
Firstly, in my view 30 minutes at a time is too long, as you can’t take in everything be in said. Also when in commercial events like that, there is great pressure on instruction to get out there and get on with it as the next one is waiting.
I always ask what the driver is trying to get from the session before they start. The differences in response can be stark.
On an extended, or full or half day, there is far more time to get to understand what is required and work with the driver to help them get where they want to be. Just the ability to get in the driving seat and show the client the lines at a reduced speed is worth its weight in gold rather than have to fight with a driver either trying to show you how good they are, or stressed that they have to go faster than they are comfortable. Getting drivers to slow down to go faster can be quite a challenge!

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying Nick, but what format would you recommend to get the best out of tuition (for someone like me who has only done 2 track days and needs honest advice on how to improve) and where?

Funny you should say that hahaha. We were out at Trac Mon, Anglesey yesterday and a pal of mine had free tuition early in the morning sessions and said the young girl sat with him in his car destroyed his confidence in just a few short laps. He wasn’t impressed with her attitude apparently, at all. He said wasn’t able to learn jack $h1t from here, she just barked at him and told him he was doing it ALL wrong. Not exactly how to start doing it right…?
As is suggested, perhaps a fuller day with an expert may be the way to go.

1 Like

Glad it wasn’t just me being completely inept.

Thanks for sharing!

Didn’t know whether to provide the management feedback as it may have just been me.