Removing & Fixing 3 Support Spoiler (mk1) 🤔

i have a spoiler like the one in the pic, held on by 3 supports. the centre support itself has 4 screws / bolts (?) of some kind going into the spoiler. the right hand support has come away and the screw / bolt (?) has like a chunk of fibre glass / filler (?) stuck on it. i’ve been told i’m going to have to remove it & build up the filler in the spoiler again. :disappointed:

apologies for quality of pic. the car is K reg special edition mk1.
which tool(s) do i need to remove it?
what i would use to build up the filler inside the spoiler?
if the screw / bolt (?) is unusable, which kind do i have to get to replace it?

Need better photos of the damage to give detailed advice on repairs.

These spoilers are usually held on by 8mm M6 bolts with a cross head for a JIS crosshead screwdriver. I would advise using a 8mm socket. For the centre bolts you might need a deep socket, or a short wobbler extension.

If the bolt on the right side is just spinning away on a broken chunk of spoiler that you can’t reach from the outside, I suggest cutting off the head of the bolt so you can get the spoiler off without damaging the boot lid, and then assess. The poiler might also be held on with some additional sticky tape material.

Generally, these spoilers have a captive metal thread in the spoiler. When the spoiler is removed, retrieve the chunks of spoiler, and figure out where the hole was, take some measurement. It will be a mirror of the other end. Clean up the broken faces. I would use chopped fiberglass (Halfords etc) to build the material back up. If you need a smooth exterior finish, then regular P38 filler to finish.

The approach I took was to make a hole just big enough for a 8mm stainless steel m6 nut (I tapped it in), then fitted the bolt of the right length, then slavered in a bit of expoxy into the hole to fill it up. Let it set, then undo the bolt, hoping the resin doesnt break off. I fitted the spoiler with a bolt and spring washer, taking care not to overtighten it, the repair is a weak point. So far its held. You might not get the new hole spot on, so be prepared to file the drilled hole on the boot lid.

How did it break? Someone using the spoiler as a handle?

1 Like

thanks for such a detailed reply! :blush: i was thinking of doing it myself but now i’m not so sure. yeah, i know its not a great pic.
it’s impossible to show the chunk etc without taking it off and i don’t have those tools.
ok, so the centre support, which has the 4 screws going into the top of the spoiler, will it be necessary to undo those 4? won’t there be one bolt holding the support thru the boot like the others?
i don’t know yet if the chunk will just keeping whizzing round, so to speak, and if it will need chopping. i’ve seen a guy make 3 new supports in a YT video. like you say, making sure you locate the new nut in place is everything. thanks for the names of the materials. now i know what to get. :slightly_smiling_face:

Take off all the bolts holding the spoiler to the boot. Don’t start undoing screws you see externally, and trying to seperate the parts of the spoiler (you will probably crack paint). Have you not opened the boot to check how the spoiler is fixed. There will be a bolt either end, and one in the middle by the stop lamp.

If you don’t have the tools or skills to take off the spoiler I suggest you speak to a coachworks about the cost of repairs.

1 Like

yeah i did look at it inside the boot the other night with someone at the garage. but because it started hailing we had to stop and postpone. i wasn’t sure if the best way was to undo the 4 going into the top of the spoiler or the single thing going thru the boot. with seeing the 4 bolts i thought the single one might be welded permanently. thanks again! :blush:
btw when i was looking for previous answers to avoid asking something already answered, i saw your red mk1. those pics are awesome. i used to have a red one. :slightly_smiling_face:

hi, sorry, i just need to ask another quick thing. i get that i need P38 filler. but i’m looking at the different types of chopped fiberglass - which one(s) should i get? thanks :blush:

It doesn’t really matter the brand, usual is Isopon P40 (blue tube).

You need to get that spoiler off, to see how the repair needs to be done.