Replacement Key for a Mk2/NB - a pointer

Local car key guy was really struggling to get the replacement key to disable the immobiliser on my 1999 Mk2 - lots of googling and then talking to some of his auto-locksmith friends and we’ve discovered a little bit of knowledge that may help anyone struggling in the future

The chip in the key is actually the same as one used on current BMWs - therefore he had to format the generic immobiliser chip to be a BMW one rather than a Mazda one, then did the clone and things fired up and kept running

Hoping this little bit of info helps someone in the future - and I now have a spare key :smiley:

1 Like

removed:-)

Interesting.

Well let’s be clear here - I haven’t been fobbed off (excuse the pun) and he’s not a joker.

He charged me exactly what we agreed before he came round, which, if I allow what it would have cost me to get a blank (and yes I know he can probably get them for pennies) means I paid £50 for someone to come to my house, cut and code the key and guarantee it - more than happy with that.

It would have been much better for him to just do it, rather than have to take the time.

Perhaps it’s the way he explained it to a simple punter like me; so will leave the post, with your addendum, as between the two it may help someone.

I did hope, as would likely have been the case with the old forum to get some support for a technical/experienced response; sadly not the case, so useful input, IMO, removed:-(

Just a foot note here for everyone… the JDM imports is a straight key , no chips, only the UK mx5 needs them.
M-m

Do you know anyone who supplies blank Keys for eunos as my local lock shop hasn’t got the correct one ?

Autolinkmx5 as them, that’s where i get them from.
M-m