Replacement wheel advice Mk 2 1.8S

I have recently had some restoration work done, new rear arches etc and will be respraying my car in the next few days. I am thinking of treating it to some new wheels and tyres. Presently it sits on standard 5 spoke alloys and 195 50 15s. I am thinking of getting some of the Minilite copy alloys (8 spoke) I aim to have the deeper dish appearance with the polished alloy rims something like the car on Page 14 in the latest STHT edition. I could stay with the present tyre size or possibly go a little wider. I do not wish to modify the arches in any way or spoil the present driving experience. I would be grateful if anyone could advise. Thankyou.

1 Like

Have a wee look at Rotas.
Not too expensive…well…in my biased view.
There’s a few that di suit the Mk2-Mk2.5 body lines.
Here’s mine…
If you do not like black, they do come in other yummy flavours.

Many thanks for the prompt response, that’s the sort of look I am aiming for exactly. What size width are the wheels and tyres? That’s a really nice looking MX5.

1 Like

Note, the 15" Enkei alloys that came as standard had a pretty good weight that’s hard to match from the aftermarket.

Rota’s RB wheel is based on Panasport’s interpretation of the Minilite (ie “banana” style spokes).

Maxilite’s wheel (Swiss company) adopts a style more like the original. They come in 35 and 30mm offset. I brought the first set in the UK, but back then, I used the 35mm offset, but got caught out when the front 1.8 calipers kissed the wheel (backspacing, apparently not unusual with Minilite style wheels, which have thick spokes). Needed 5mm shims. IL Motorsport stock the wheel (and pinched photos of one of my MX5s to promote it…), but sell the 30mm offset version.

I liked these for the decent weight (~13lbs), the straighter spoke style and the silver paint was less blingy than the sparkly one used by Rota

My pleasure.
Cannot recall the rim size but they are still 16’s.
Without difficulty it wears 215s . It’s on good 'ol Toyos at the moment. Got them cheap on a deal a few months back. Just £56.00 per…fitted at my house.

No fouling, no issues at all.
I think they just about fill the arches without going stupid.
Certainly does get ad hoc car park compliments which are nice!
I’m busy tomorrow but if needs be for you I’ll try and look out the invoices on Sunday.

Thanks again Scottishfiver, much appreciated. Good to know that 215s will also fit. You say that your wheels are 16 inches. It will be a fair amount of expense so I really and to make sure I get it right on the advice of people who have already done this. I would be keen to hear what the rough overall prices were if you are happy to share this info’. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi Scottish Fiver, Just to give you a quick update on my present situation. My car has now been repainted in VW/Audi nardo grey and I am just wet sanding and buffing it up. In the meantime I managed to get a set of Rotas (15 inch) but the same style as yours. They were used with tyres and with black spokes. I am presently sanding and polishing up the rims ready to re-lacquer. I am really pleased with them. At the price I could not miss them and will do the job fine for the time being. They really ‘lift’ the grey which is just what I wanted. Best wishes.

1 Like

Always good to get feed back.
Looking forward in due course to photos of the finished exercise.

Hi Scottish Fiver, Further to my last communication with you I have completed the repaint and have refurbished the replacement Rota alloys. All being well I hope to get some photos posted that show it completed in Nardo Grey. It has cost me far too much really and is lead by the heart and not the brain but I would not want it any other way. I love this car.

IMG_2250
IMG_2252

1 Like

Blimey.
Your car really ticks all the boxes.
What a superb looking thing now…
Rotas just go “Wham”.
Good lad.

Cheers, very lucky to pick up the Rotas a couple of villages away, could not miss them but they were in a bit of a state. Lots of wet and dry, polish and paint and they are now certainly good enough for me. Finishing off the paint took me longer than expected but I am certainly pleased with the results. Not perfect but more than good enough to use. Well out of pocket with it but I really don’t care.

My lovely old dog, ‘Oscar’ used to love ‘Mazdaring’ with the top down. Sadly, we had to say ‘goodbye’ to him six weeks back but I am so pleased the car was sufficiently finished to be able to take him out for a last run. He loved it as usual but spent less time looking out. It makes this car even more special to us all now.

2 Likes