Replacing 5 Parts Cat Back.... but to what?

1. My model of MX-5 is: MX5 NA Mk1 1.6
  2. I’m based near: Seaford, East Sussex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: an exhaust that doesn’t drone mid revs or is too noisy.

I have a Skuzzle Motorsport fast road conversion now producing 145 BHP. I have a Jackson Racing exhaust manifold matched to oem CAT with an MX5 Parts cat back exhaust.
Even prior to the conversion, the 5 parts exhaust has always droned at certain revs and tbh, it’s started to grate on me a bit.
I’m looking at replacing the 5 parts cat back so any suggestions? There’s the roadster sport from Goodwin racing and the Racing Beat but also the Cobalt. Any suggestions from experience from any members out there? If you went from the 5 parts system to another for the same reasons as me, which did you go for and are you happy with the results?
Many thanks in advance.

Zoom Zoom

This is my 5 :laughing:

1 Like

Ordinarily I would say Mongoose(Colling Engineering); on the Mk1, this was a very good system, but it seems they no longer make it. Maybe ring them and plead to get out the jigs…

I replaced the Mongoose with a MX5parts/ILM twin exhaust, which is terrible (long story, switching exhausts between cars…), but is a bit irreversible given the cuts to the bumper… I hear a lot of good things about the Go Perform systems., might be worth investigating.

Thanks, checked the website for Go Perform and can’t see a system for a MK1. Must admit, navigating the site was awful, not really impressed by the layout.
Thanks for your help tho :+1:t2:

Thanks. I don’t use Facebook haha

Looks like a dual exit whereas I only want single.

Anybody have experience of cat backs from Racing Beat?

The general reputation of RB catbacks is first rate. They used to be made by RS*R in Japan, but moved production to Anaheim. Expensive, but probably worth it.

Yes, looking at £700 plus for back box and mid pipe.
For my car, eBay have just the back box at £416 plus £14.99 postage with estimated delivery mid October.
Racing Beat Europe have the mid pipe (£294.60) but not the back box as far as I can see. And eBay do not have the mid pipe.
I’ll look around some more. The other option is the Goodwin Racing Roadstersport 3 at £650 approx for cat back system. It’s all BIG MONEY :yen::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There is also the HKS Silent Hi Power from TDI
https://www.tdi-plc.com/product/hks-silent-hi-power-na6ce-b6ze-engine-89-9-93-7/

Ignore the photo in the ad; its generic.

Super Dragger, but similar layout

Or check here: https://www.hkseurope.com/

Thanks again for all the suggestions/links etc. I’m in a bit of a spin now. There are quite a few options it seems. The one thing I hate about the 5Parts exhaust is the droning at the mid-rev range and I’ve really suffered enough.
The search continues but please, if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions, please let me know.

Consider custom/bespoke; the exhaust builder will get it to sound exactly as you want. Or they could modify what you have.

Powerflow is a nationwide chain.

stay away from go perform they are a set of rip of merchants best thing I did was sell there system, if you do buy don’t expect any warranty or support

Oh dear, not good feedback at all. I’m trying to look at all options but I’ve noted your comments. Thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

What about the Cobalt single exit exhaust from Moss? I’ve heard mixed reviews on YouTube, one in particular mentioned droning around 3k revs which is what I do not want. I’d like some feedback if you have one before I shell out the cash (£260).
Thanks guys and stay safe