Reversing camera advice pls

Im putting in a new Pioneer double din head unit and will install a rev camera, the question is
is it worth the nearly 70 pounds to buy the Pioneer one or has anyone installed a different one ?
Quality of view is more important to me than price, although a great price would be excellent news also.
thanks again in advance
willie

1. My model of MX-5 is: __mk 3 NC
  2. I’m based near: __ireland
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ rev camera

Hiya Willie, if you get the model specific, pioneer specified reversing camera for your new head unit, it will be just plug n play. Any issues with either the head unit or camera will be covered by Pioneer warranty. As to the superior quality of the Pioneer one over a much cheaper Generic one? Who knows? You could buy several ‘cheaper’ ones for the price of the Pioneer one. I’ve installed several Chinese head units and bought them with the suppliers own cameras, never had an issue with any of them, all worked as intended. However, they might all be different specs such as resolution, night vision capability etc.
I also wonder, though never tested this out, are the different ones all compatible in terms of connection etc? My current head unit is a single DIN Pioneer smart sync jobby, no reverse camera available but sensors instead, I would not try to connect a generic reverse/parking sensor kit but buy the Pioneer specific one, for the reasons outlined above.
Having said that, for around a tenner, could be worth a punt and a test fit for you, to see if you would be happy? If not, buy the proper one.
Good luck with your quest. Roadie on here, supplies reverse camera kits for the ND models, which he makes up himself. He might be the guy to speak to :+1:
Barrie

As a ONE TIME ONLY post on this subject from me.
I have nothing whatsoever to do with admin.
In my opinion your reply is very rude and you should think very carefully about what you write.
You and I have no idea whether the OP may need assistance for whatever reason.
By your observations then all the ND car (fitted with the camera) drivers should revoke their licence.
Likewise, all the other cars on the road fitted with them.
People come on here for advice, not to be bullied.
Thank you.

17 Likes

Thinking about the same. I just put in a Pioneer head unit, and tempted to add a camera, just 'cos I can.
I am minded to think almost any camera will be plug and play, and to me it is more about the fitting (and where to fit) that will steer the decision.

It was on my list to do whilst doing the install but I have rear sensors, they work quite adequately so a bit overkill having the camera as well.
I got a remark once about why have rear sensors on that, well it’s absolutely worth it just for when I reverse the car into the garage. In the other MX-5’s I’ve owned I had to put a soft buffer around the shelving for the many times I’ve touched it with the bumpers, great with the NC with sensors.

3 Likes

Combination of camera and sensors when reversing into a tight garage are very helpful.

4 Likes

Or indeed when manoeuvring in a car park which has very low walls or bollards. Or when parallel parking into a very tight space. Or when an animal - or small child - wanders behind you while you’re reversing. Or…

7 Likes

It’s great to have someone like Phoenix to tell us when we should give up driving. At 76, he will probably think its about time for me now!!

3 Likes

Thanks all, My garage has about 3 inches to spare and curently im using the hanging tennis ball from the roof trick, so a rev camera is the solution.
Based on a load or reviews I have gone with one called Auto-vox, ill report here whenever installed. It has a bigger than normal cmos , ie 1/3 inch rather than 1/4 inch so may have better resolution. 30 quid, so wont break the bank.

7 Likes

Hi I fitted a Kenwood dmx8019dabs double din unit to my NBFL and added a reversing camera. I bought a cheap one for £12 from Amazon and mounted it discreetly from the boot lid lip and it worked well. It had a wire that you could cut to mirror the image in case in was back to front horizontally, which it was. You could also twist the lens to a horizontal position. Works well on damp mornings when hard top covered in dew and visibility is limited.

Got Halfords to fit camara along with Kenwood touch screen double din, well worth it in total about £180 to my NC 2ltr Sport.
Graham

2 Likes

I had the reversing sensors and reversing camera put into my Mk2.5. Rveresing sensors, godsend, camera - worst investment I made as I just dont use it. Would never do this again.

It was not pioneer so wouldnt know a good price, but if I got another MX5 I would defo go for the rear beepers mainly cos our other cars have them and I rear ended the wifes X1 before I had them fitted! BUT would not bother with a camera (just turn around and look over the shoulder

Expect to be lambasted for this comment as I was earlier in this thread. It would appear that a few mx5 drivers are unable to look over their shoulder to see where they are going!!

A van or motorhome maybe with restricted rear vision maybe but come on. On a car little bigger than a shoe with unrestricted rear vision?

Have you ever tried reversing an MX-5 with the hood up? They do have limited rearwards vision and side view isn’t great either with the hood in place.

I don’t rely on the sensors alone when reversing, always looking in each mirror and of course assess the situation before I even get in the car at what may be behind me. Even shoe size cars have blind spots, MX-5 does too immediately behind it the sensors help a great deal, mine in particular when reversing in the garage.
I didn’t fit the sensors on my car they were factory fitted and thought why on this car when I first bought it, I’ve changed my opinion on them now to the positive.

Anything that aides a driver is a plus for me but one shouldn’t be over confident that these aides can be trusted alone, careful use and paying attention are still required.

4 Likes

Not sure you were lambasted for your opinion, but more for the attitude which came across as arrogant and rude. It is easy to misjudge/misinterpret what is written in jest on a forum. So picking words wisely is sometimes needed.

Wrt having a camera… It depends what you want one for.
For context, I have driven approaching a million miles in HGV’s all over Europe and could reverse an artic into places many wouldn’t take a van, all with no reversing aids beyond a couple of mirrors.
But my better half’s last couple of cars (Qashqui, & CX5) both have cameras and mean I can easily park them to withing an inch of a wall with never miss judging.

My MX5, I have to hop out and check when maybe around six or eight inches away, then creep back a little bit more.

And as I have just spent north of £400 on a new head unit and fitting kit that supports a camera, very tempted to chuck another £30 or £40 at it, not because I need it, but because, well why not? Where is the downside?

8 Likes

What we do in life does not have to be for a specific purpose or need.
We can and should just do things because we enjoy doing it and fitting ‘things’ to our cars is fun.
It does not matter if you never use them, the pleasure and feeling of satisfaction that you get having fitted that ‘something’ is enough.
If you want to fit a reversing camera or stick on bonnet pins then do it, take the pleasure and ignore the descanter’s.
:heart:

7 Likes

what a great response Malc :+1: God knows, I’ve done plenty of daft stuff over the years but thoroughly enjoyed most of it! :rofl::rofl:
Barrie

5 Likes

Go for it. It is a convenience, you’ll enjoy it.

2 Likes

Hi, what did you fit in the end, and how does it work ? I have a Mk3 and will swap the useless head unit that came with it for a PIoneer Double DIN sat nav. Was wondering myself on the best reversing camera, and like you I would like quality not so much cheapness.

Hi there, I bought the Pioneer double din, a reversing camera called Auto Vox from Ebay and a set of colour coded reversing sensors. I also got replacement speakers from Audison. Nothing fitted yet as no time but will report when I fit everything . Best of Luck.