Running new brake pipes - advice for a beginner?

1. My model of MX-5 is:1992 NA
  2. I’m based near: Basingstoke

Working through the MOT fail list - one of which is “Brake pipe excessively corroded Offside Front (front to rear)”
I am assuming i need to replace the copper brake pipe front to back and may as well do the offside hoses at the same time as they have an advisory.
So - is there a kit you can buy for the brake pipes themselves or do you just buy the copper pipe on its own and get a flaring kit to make up the ends? I’m sure i’ve seen Edd China make it look simple on Wheeler Dealers before, but i’m a novice when it comes to brakes and i’ll be doing it on the drive rather than with a nice 2 post lift!

What diameter pipe is used on the mk1 Mx5? i’ve seen this kit on ebay which looks to have everything i think i need?

ANy good?

Any recommendations or tips to reduce the amount of 4 letter words required?

I think MX5 Parts do a kit for a full set replacement for less than £100, not sure if you still need to flair the ends. We used a similar flaring kit on our build and just bough the pipe separately, it wasn’t to difficult to do and the brakes still work 3 years later :rofl:

link: Brake Pipe Set, RHD MX5 Mk1, Without ABS

1 Like

My tip is to get the existing pipe off without bending it so you have a good template to match.
Doing it by eye is for the more advanced, my efforts worked but looked a little ‘untidy’.
:heart:

1 Like

I’ve found these on ebay for £31 which seems to be a lot easier overall!

My only issue is that the description says not for ABS cars, but mine has it - although the seller says it should be OK - surely the pipe would be the same?

I think the copper ones seem fine. Making brake lines isn’t that difficult, all the connections create their own clamp on the hose but personally I’d go for something of good quality, it is your brakes after all but I’m a do it “right” or not at all kind of guy and often go OTT.

Thanks - but the pipes i’m referring to are the front to back ones, not the ones to the callipers

1 Like

I used the brake kit as supplied by MX5 Parts, the ends are already made so no flaring required.
The key is to manipulate the pipe to match the original as there are quite a few bends in the pipe run front to rear, but with care produces a neat job.

1 Like

ABS pipes are longer as they have to cross the engine bay to get to the ABS pump I believe. Unless there is a join on the proportioning valve if the ABS models have one, that is in the same place as on the none ABS models.

1 Like

thanks @Roadster_Robbie - that’s good knowledge, saves me buying the wrong stuff and finding out when its too late

Found a supplier who acknowledged that some Mk1’s have ABS fitted!
Really great service and support from Dan at Automec - https://automec.co.uk/ - required pipe purchased and on its way

2 Likes