Rust on brake discs over winter

Hi. It’s been a while since I posted here. My MX has only done 80 miles this year which is mad I know but it’s been a strange year and I’m not sure I want to sell it.

Anyway a question.

My car is stored under a very large carport but the brake disc faces attract moisture and turn brown with surface rust through the winter months,

Has anyone any ideas if it’s possible to stop this ? Anything the swept areas can be treated with safely ?

Cheers :+1::+1::+1::+1:

Hi Charlie! How’s things? :+1:

This has been discussed before and it is an issue. Can’t find any old threads on the subject though :thinking:
Anyway, I wonder if something like this might be worth trying?
https://www.onbuy.com/gb/olpro-caravan-wheel-cover-single~c3931~p4016719/?exta=shptl&stat=eyJpcCI6IjcuMDAiLCJkcCI6MCwibGlkIjoiNDkwMjc3NCIsInMiOiIxNTQzIiwidCI6MTYwMzYxNTEwNCwiYm1jIjowfQ==&custom_id=0_10:::ee:::best_seller:::new:::uk:::h=0-d=0-rs=0:::item-id=OPC-PDTKX9-NEW&gclid=Cj0KCQjw59n8BRD2ARIsAAmgPmKtbHj9hvROwCLuf5acH3Hi-vZkLRfKVHjV2s6M9NcVeTXbCWpnDGQaAmHsEALw_wcB

Barrie

2 Likes

Drive it every week then…hard on the brakes.
Use the handbrake against the throttle for a few hundred feet where safe to do so…and in the dry only in a straight line.
They are only cast iron.
Never had disc or caliper issues doing that with both our 5s for 15 years…leaned it in the Monza OC…their rear discs especially were nightmares unless you tanned them now and then. Only changed our 2002 Sport discs & calipers at 98,000 miles two years back.
It works.

1 Like

Don’t treat the brake surface with anything!

However I’ve used wheel covers successfully after finding rusty discs a few years ago after a damp fortnight parked at Gatwick.

I posted here about the success of wheel covers

The second link in the post above points to the covers I used.
The first link in the post above doesn’t work as expected so I’ve reposted it below, with pictures of rusty then clean discs.

Hi mate how’s that car coming along ? I’m having a little difficulty navigating this site now it’s changed so much…

I thought about wheel covers but when I used some fairly expensive ones on a TVR a few years back they had condensates within the covers despite being permeable and made it actually worse…

Hope you and yours are keeping well in these strange times :+1::+1:

1 Like

That was my worry.

However the ones I have are waterproof, but only cover the outside and tyre, leaving the inside of the hub open to the breeze. Also the fit is a bit loose allowing some minor flapping, I guess it helps the ventilation.

I was expecting some marking on the inner surfaces of the discs, but they were OK.
I’ve used these six times now often parking a couple of weeks each at windy winter Gatwick, and no rust.

1 Like

Whilst there is often surface rust appearing, is this an issue? as it should come off fairly quickly once the car is used. Obviously you have to take care for the first few miles, but I have never had an issue. I suppose it depends on how long it is sat and how deep the rust gets, as I have only had light surface rust.

1 Like

That is my view, as a rule.

After I wash the car the discs always go rusty, I can see it happening in a few seconds in front of me, but an immediate quick blow dry for a few miles always polishes them back to normal. And living in the warm dry garage keeps them nice and shiny.

However with the deeper rust the rear disc suffered facing a prevailing wind at Gatwick, the sixty miles home made not much impression on it, nor did driving round the block the next day with the handbrake on, it just scored the pad instead. So it needed skimming and new pads - the improvement in stopping power was remarkable.

Hence when I was offered the wheel covers I leaped at the chance to try them for the car’s next fortnight parked exposed to the wet winds of Gatwick.