S/S Exhaust pipe leak

Hi,
There’s a leak in the exhaust pipe on my 1993 Mk1 MX5, see photo.
If it breaks will it fall down onto the road, or is there a hanger?
This is a stainless steel one, and is probably expensive, does anyone know how much?
I am wondering if it can be repaired.
Cheers, Camerart

That looks like the flexi joint. The sections in front and behind should have their own hangers so once it goes properly it should remain in place.

Lots of shoulds in there, Run your hand along the pipe and you’ll find the hangers. The front bit is directly bolted to the engine so that’s going no where

Hi BBB,
Yes, the front of the flexi joint.
I had the car on a plank on bricks so I didn’t want to get right under, but so far, I’ve not felt a hanger.
If I don’t get any more answers I’ll probe farther.
Thanks, C

Thats a JDM header I guess. No hangers on the header. If the Goodrich tubing fails completely, the exhaust probably won’t fall on the ground n a '93 (but it might on a 96, since Mazda eliminated the hanger after the cat), because the cat is supported.

Hi S,
I looked up JDM header, and mine doesn’t have the 4x pipes before the catalyst, but maybe a different version.

I don’t know if exhaust repair putty is still available, but I’ll look then make a clamp to seal and hold it for a while.
C

Would a couple of weapons grade dirty big Circlips do it though?

Hi S,
I can’t tell if your comment is a suggestion or a question, regarding circlips.

I had in mind an inch+ wide sheet of metal, clamped by bolts, but perhaps circlips would be ok, as it’s only a support.
C

1 Like

It’s both…because it just popped into my head.
Not a lot to lose by trying I suppose, but good luck with it. :crossed_fingers:

Thanks

JDM= Japanese Domestic Market. Its one of any number of after market 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers sold in Japan. Nearly all of them use Goodrich trubing to address fitment issues and reduce NVH. Western headers are one piece, which can cause to a bit of buzziness.

You can’t just patch it up with putty or screwing on some clamps. You cut it out either side of the flanges, and clamp in a new section of the right length. Google FA1 flex hose, they cost £15-20 (ie. peanuts), in various sizes. Welding stainless steel is tricky, the metal has to be spotless from what I can gather.

1 Like

Hi,
I made a clamp, fitted it and it worked perfectly, but, the other end of the flex has also gone, so I will need one of these FA1 sections.

I haven’t found one yet, can you post a link please? I’ll keep looking.

I’ve done stainless welding and soldering, but I had the use of the correct equipment then. Do I recall the name eutectic solder?

Cheers, C.

Hi,
Found them on Ebay.
C