Saggy hood - Mk2 glass screen hood (on a Mk1)

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk1 Eunos Roadster
  2. I’m based near: Brighton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Floppy Hoods

I’ve got a Mk2 glass screen mohair hood fitted to my Eunos Roadster. It was salvaged from a Euphonic, and removed frame and hood complete, and I fitted it to my Roadster about a year ago. I’ve noticed the hood has gotten a bit loose / saggy, and the glass rear screen sags when the hood is up, such that I can lift it about an inch at the top edge.

The latches are adjusted to their tightest setting, I’ve got the two webbing straps installed correctly, the saggyness of the hood doesn’t seem to be a severe problem but it annoys me and doesn’t seem ‘right’.

The best approach I can think of to try to rectify this is to unbolt the back of the hood, separate the rain rail from the hood by drilling out the rivets and reattaching the rain rail but trying to seat the hood fabric a bit deeper in the rail. I’ll also need to make fresh holes in the fabric of the hood within the rain rail.

Does this seem like the best approach? Is there anything else I could do / anything I’ve missed?

Mazda had a problem with hoods going baggy on the 2.5 and swapped some under warranty because of it.

There is a bit of movement in the hood frame mounting bolts. Try loosening the 3 bolts and lifting the frame and retighten them.

Thanks Richard!