Sat nav for mk3 req, OEM

hi,

My mk3 has a bose cd player in it. Does anyone know if you can buy the touch screen sat nav version that you get in the mk3.5 (I think), if you can dies anyone know if it will fit in the mk3.

Cheers
Michael

Probably not directly no. You have the Bose system ,which to start with cannot directly be replaced with a double din unit. But there are double din fascia out there for example from Connects2. Not a big job. Then there is the rest of your Bose system. If I am correct you will need a specific ISO lead that will get the right signal at your Bose amp. I believe Connects2 also has those. Why would you want the OEM satnav? Better options can be had that are also double din.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I honestly just like the look of the original one. Does that site you suggested sell units as well as cables to convert the full system.

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated

Connects2 is a brand. They specialize in facilitating installation of after market stuff with adaptors, fascia and more. I bought my stuff at Car Audio Direct. You could ask them for help. I’m not sure of the connection that the OEM satnav unit uses.

1 Like

I’ve fitted sat nav units into my Mk3 and Mk3.5 using the Connects2 kit and its all fairly straight forward.

I have a Sony unit now (did have a Chinese Android one but that was reasonably unreliable) and the installation of both looked fairly OEM and certainly didn’t look intrusive at all.

Certainly the fascia was a very good match to the rest of the dash so looked OEM.

1 Like

Can’t help with the factory installed sat nav unit only to say it does have a different size loom connector. Reading in a recent thread I guess if you do secure one of those get the loom that should come with it to plug to your car.
As others have said once you get the Connects2 kit and necessary kit the option I went with was to install a unit with Android Auto/Apple Carplay function. I use Waze for navigation, it’s so far been faultless in that department. Just got to sort a better DAB aerial out but it works in that function just not perfect.

2 Likes

pioneer dab230 ! loads have done it. Fantastic mod.

1 Like

Hi is this the recommended one?
Ta.
https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-sph-da230dab_p-40298.htm

1 Like

If it helps, my carplay unit is a similar one but from Sony - Sony XAV-AX3005DB DAB. Its pretty good except for one thing that is really bugging me - it appears there is no way to adjust the screen brightness, meaning that at best its a bit too dim and with the roof down on a sunny day its borderline invisible!!

That’s the one… you need i think to check you get the right kit to work with yours as the bose has a powereed amp and you just need to check you get the right cables. Check possibly with Caraudiocentre so you get exactly what you need, including steering wheel controls.

Personally i ran a usb cable from the back of it into the glove box and if it’s android or iOS it can just sit in there and you never need it. Stick the microphone on the steering wheel front plastic and it’s great for handsfree calls.

TMW: you might need a cable that goes to the handbreak or bypasses it so you can control it whilst the handbreak is off?

I’ve got the handbrake cable connected - its more an issue of the brightness not being great (its ok, just not great) and then getting the double whammy of glare on the screen with the roof down! Am hoping that an anti-glare screen filter will do the trick!

You should have a screen similar to this below to adjust the display, have you been through all the settings. Mines a JVC btw.

1 Like

I’ve looked and looked and looked! There is an option like that but it only controls the screen when dimmed at night (when the headlights are on)! I even did the unthinkable and read the instruction manual, to no avail!

1 Like

Thanks for that, I will research. :+1:

You’ve probably tried this already, but Page 17 of the manual mentions the dimmer function must be ON in order to adjust screen brightness (-5 to +5 is the range of settings).

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4739/8d117538ba89beeb74714a1a5a6b6386/47393174M.pdf

Thanks very much for the thought, but yep I got that and its on +5! The only other thing I can think of is maybe my eyes have just started to dim and I’ve not noticed anywhere else…! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks though :smiley:

1 Like

I will give them a go, thank you for the help and advice.

that looks a cool kit. Recon i need to forget original and upgrade, cheers.

The DAB 230 has been superseeded (by the DAB250), however there are still plenty of the 230’s available, prices have dropped (except at Halfrauds still £390) best I’ve seen is £299. So a four hundred pound plus unit for three hundred not bad.
The 230 was one of the most highly rated units.

1 Like