Servicing in / around Berkshire

Hi All,

Sure this has been asked many times, (sorry if so). Have an NC 2.0 and need a local-ish garage for servicing and bits and bobs. Have been using Maztek in Slough who have been awesome but think Alan has now retired. Pretty sure C&C sparks were recommended to me when at a local meet last year.

Does anybody have experience of Sparks in Bisley? spoke to them on the phone and they did seem friendly and knowledgeable. 

Thanks 

Del 

Did you get anywhere with this Del?

I’ve just learned that Alan’s retired - I feared this day coming - and am looking for someone a bit more local than Northants or Nuneaton where the two recommended MX-5 garages I’ve come across so far are based.

Matt

Hi Matt,

On recommendation of MX5OC I tried https://www.sparkesmotorengineering.co.uk/ Colin seemed to know his stuff. Nice guy and helpful. Happy to do the oil on a Saturday while I waited.
Would recommend.

Cheers

Del

We’ve used Sparkes a couple of times, the most recent being just a couple of weeks ago. Colin is an old-school mechanic and has a mk1 himself.

Hi

I’m fairly new to the forum and have a couple of questions about servicing.

Does anyone know if Sparkes Engineering is the closest reliable MX5 service centre to Windsor?  They look good but they are a little way from me.  Is there anyone closer?

I looked on the Mazda website and their major service at 60k miles says that you should replace the brake fluid, the gear box (manual) oil and the back axle oil.  The car has done 109k at the moment and I am pretty sure that those have not been changed.  is this necessary or should they be checked and topped up?  I am happy to change the brake fluid but worried that changing the other two which are functioning well at the moment might open up a can of worms!

I have just had now tyres fitted and Protyre in Slough say that the rear tracking cannot be done as one of the rear track rods is seized up and needs to be unseized.  Is this normal and is it easy to unseize?  Should the garage just apply heat?

Thank you in anticipation of your help!

Norman A Watts

Thanks Del. I will give Sparks a go.

Matt.

As a follow-up, I’ve booked the car to go into Sparkes on the 18th. Mainly to have a look at the roof. Something went wrong last time I opened it. Hoping it’s not major!

m@

I used Sparkes in June for servicing my Sport Tech. Like others had used Maztek previously so needed to find another good independent.   I would recommend Sparkes as well. 

Just booked the 5 into Sparkes for oil change and a quick pre-MOT look around, Early August :slight_smile:

Del

I meant to follow-up.

I took my car to Colin @ Sparkes because the roof had had a problem. There was a “crack” sound both dropping it and putting it back up. I feared the worst.

I left it with Colin who tested it over the next week and couldn’t find anything wrong with it. Indeed it has been fine since. They checked the motors and mechanism and it all checked out. I am starting to think something might have gotten in there. He charged me only a small amount for labour.

I was happy with the service I received and will be taking the car back to Sparkes for it’s service & MOT in the winter.

Matt

Booked my Mk1 into Sparkes next Wednesday on strength of OC comments. Doing cam belt and service as well as replacing header rail rubber seal which is cracked and perished though not leaking yet…just need to work out how to get home from the farm unit its on as it looks fairly remote.
Mike

Meant to mention that Colin@Sparkes had my 5 in for service & MOT last month. Again a happy experience. I get the feeling these guys enjoy what they do.

m@

It’s not too far to walk back into Bisley, then hopefully you can catch a bus to home?  I usually have to get my OH to come along in his car to take me home - which reminds me, need to find out when he’s free so I can get mine booked in as well!

There is a bus that runs by the roundabout at the top of the top you’ll walk back on. If memory serves it runs from Guildford to Camberley.

m@

[quote=Planet Claire]

It’s not too far to walk back into Bisley, then hopefully you can catch a bus to home?  I usually have to get my OH to come along in his car to take me home - which reminds me, need to find out when he’s free so I can get mine booked in as well!

Thanks Claire

That’s where I messed up.  Booked a day my OH can’t help with …DOH!  So the bus it will be with a train too.  Thanks!

[quote=sandbags]

There is a bus that runs by the roundabout at the top of the top you’ll walk back on. If memory serves it runs from Guildford to Camberley.

m@

Yep!  Just googled it all.  So my public transport adventure has been planned…Thanks!