So, will we be allowed out after 13 May.......?

Just watched (late as I was fitting some bulbs to the 5), the prerecorded speech by Boris , devil will be in the detail in the document being issued tomorrow, however, in the interim, what are people’s views, will we be allowed to take our cars out post 13 May?

A very good question.
It is stated that you “CAN DRIVE TO DO EXERCISE IF YOU WANT”.
Which is one of them along with parks etc.
But what limits are going to be imposed…
I guess a little drive out into the country and stop for a picnic in an isolated spot and then back will be actively looked at for me.
Of course none of us want to catch this bloody awful virus, but a sensible approach is a must. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

3 Likes

Nothing has changed really. You can drive to a location for a bit more leisure time within reason. You still have to socially distance and if you can’t work from home and it is safe to go back to work then you can…

In the analysis on BBC that followed BJ’s speech, they highlighted that these rule changes are for England only. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are setting their own rules. Thety said that we can drive to somewhere nice to exercise in England, but don’t cross the Scottish or Welsh borders because the police there may want a word due to contravening their more restrictive rules.

I like to drive somewhere nice for a walk, most likely the Peak district, it’s within an hours drive. I also like to shop 12 miles away, always done so until lockdown.
It opens up a can of worms on the “how far can one go”
Do I now drive to those destinations or carry on as is until at least June 1st?
Nothing said about putting pressures on the emergency services re travelling that extra mile in that statement, I guess the devil is in the detail.
Guessing some will see it as a green flag to venture far and wide but it was mentioned about there’s still the law to enforce if deemed necessary or words to that effect.

3 Likes

Although the minor details are a bit vague, most people will take a sensible approach to this new snippet of freedom, my main concern is the small minority of selfish morons who, given an inch, will take a mile, like the party of 40 recently, celebrating a birthday, who spat and coughed at the police when they tried to disperse them.
Personally , I might un SORN the 5 , and go for a short spin and a walk with my missus, just steering clear of everybody else, and see what else happens over the coming weeks :neutral_face:

5 Likes

I haven’t sorned mine at all. Used it to go to the shops if I wasn’t taking my stepdaughter with the wife. And although am currently furloughed that I think is about to change so chili will be on the road a lot more

I saw a report on a survey this week that stated that around 80% of those surveyed hadn’t been out in the last 7 days other than for “permitted activities” under the initial lockdown regime.

What I don’t fully understand though is that pubs and mass gatherings (footie etc) closed before 23 March so why has it taken so long for the infection rates to fall given a typical incubation period of 1 - 14 days (Van Tam stated the mean is 5 days).

Going back to the survey, the inference is that 1 in 5 have cut themselves some slack in observing the rules which may be why the infection rate remains high. In which case, these idiots will continue to balls it up and we’re pretty much stuck where we are.

2 Likes

After 8 weeks of confienment I can not believe that people ( our foru members ) are speaking in this way ! As things stand, the ONLY wy to slow down this pandemic is to self isolate.
Our lockdown here in France has been relaxed from midnight Sunday 10 May. We are reletaivel young ( 53 / 55 ). We live in a rural area…so should be relatievley safe…as we are self isolating most of the time…HOWEVER
When people are asking questions such as " How far can we go " and " Can I go oot in my car "… I feel that the whole nation has forgoten to think for itself…and relay on the mixed messages from no 10.
I ( we ) do not intend to go out for anything other than “essential” journeys. My sister in the UK is a key worker and is insisting the same for all her family.
Can we…How far…Its a liberty…roof down…just use some common and stop listening to Boris ! xx

2 Likes

LffSam.
Please don’t bring politics into the issue, does “Anyone” really have the answer? NO.
Has anyone ever dealt with something like this before? NO.
Are you an expert on the subject? (NO, not hiding away in France anyway).
If everyone self isolates until it’s completely gone then the WHOLE world would have collapsed.
Remember the Prime Minister had the virus and nearly died.
He is REALLY trying to do the best for us.
ALL the Ministers (no matter what party) should be together on this and stop scoring points.
Please don’t sit in your glass house and throw stones from your little sanctuary, tucked away hiding in FRANCE some where!
US members were merely having a debate in an adult fashion, unlike yours (in my opinion).

6 Likes

This sums it up nicely.

2 Likes

Just watched this lloydy. At last someone has worked out exactly what the new rules are and now I feel confident moving forward :rofl:

2 Likes

Not hiding anywhere. Done my bit on the “front line” for many years, and still doing what I can in my comunity…which is helping it…not hindering it…Obviously France seems to bother you for some reason…

1 Like

Done my bit on the front lines too if that helps.
France does not, is was your comment.
Have a lovely day :+1:

1 Like

Having been to France on numerous occasions, and always marvelled at how beautifully quiet it was in rural areas, it is perhaps easier for the French to self-isolate than it is for the UK populous, simply because of the greater land area in France for a similar overall population.

Personally, now that driving to another local place to exercise is to be permitted, I’ll be a lot happier. My step-daughter has a large farm, with woodland, some seven miles away from where I live, so from Wednesday, my wife and I will be allowed to take a topless ride in the MX-5 to the woods, and provided we can social-distance while we are there, all will be well. And this journey can be undertaken without the fear of being stopped by the police, and interrogated as to the reason for our trip.

5 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

What an intelligent and lovely reply.
Well done to you! :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Now if only I was still camo’d, I’d be able to stealth it over my " border" into the Lakes under cover.

And raid you booger’s garage freezers while you sleep.
Be afraid…be very afraid…

5 Likes

You’re very welcome to what remains in ours, bag of Aldi mixed veg, Christmas stuffing, pigs in blankets and turkey gravy and a few peas dotted around :sunglasses:

2 Likes

As already pointed out a successful lockdown should have had more of an impact on the numbers than it has. I think the latest supposed easing in lockdown is lip service as we are not in a position to do anything else at the moment.
Any changes that create a scenario where the virus can be spread is a mistake. Schools reopening where social distancing not fully observed is a mistake.
Construction site workers encouraged to go back to work where social distancing cannot be fully observed is a mistake.
Allowing people to drive around as they appear to be doing in an increasing way at the moment could be a mistake. Nothing wrong with driving around until a breakdown, accident or any other type of crisis away from home occurs.
The UK appears to be patting itself on the back for a job well done with this virus. I am surprised by the resilience of the British people in this crisis and the courage of some but the infection rates and implied real infection rates from the number of deaths indicates a significant measure of failure. Typical of the UK to languish in failure and deem it success.

6 Likes