Soul red crystal paint

Quite often it is the car in front that has caused the damage.

When buying s/h I’d go round the auctions and all the reps cars had done 80K in three years and the front looked like it had been sandblasted. And we know how they drive, always in a tearing hurry and hoping they’ll not lose the last points on their license.

However, private owned three years old tended to be 30K-40K and you could count the chips.

When I picked up my Niseko, it was pristine, with new paint on the front. At home, 110(ish) miles later driving carefully in pouring rain on the M4 etc keeping a good distance it had ten chips! But I had been cut up several times by people pulling-in too soon and much too close after overtaking.

You can’t win, no matter how carefully you drive: leaving a good safe distance to the next car (no chips from him) is an invite to a zig-zagger to nip in, chip you, and move out again. It’s during the lane change when the most damage is done.

1 Like

Agree with Richard, stone chips are pretty much inevitable these days. There’s a huge amount of grit on the roads a lot of it debris from the ever growing number of pot holes. I try to keep my distance when out driving to minimise damage, but just accept that over time my mx-5 will pick some up. As the car ages a few chips and marks generally seem less significant anyway.

1 Like

Now lockdown easing we are considering changing our 2016 Vitara with 23,000 miles and only has two tiny chips. On the very short list is the CX5 and CX30 in Soul red crystal so assume the paintwork will be the same or does different factories if they are made in different factories make any difference to paint thickness ?

They are all made in the Hiroshima factories, so I doubt there is much difference.
I guess the shape of the CX models are less susceptible to chips, not being so low down.

Japanese paint has a reputation for being soft in general and Soul Red (the old version) is like chuffing butter, I am forever touching up chips on the front, it’s heartbreaking :sob: The only cure is paint protection film, tough longlife ceramic coatings will reduce scratches but they are not going to stop chips with such a thin layer. The worst part on mine though is the sills, they have proper road rash and only a respray would fix them, I would seriously suggest investing in front mudflaps.

2 Likes

My Soul red ND is 3 years old, it’s had the Mazda mud flaps ( more like stone guards) since new and it has stopped the road rash on the front edge of the sill and rear bumper edge.
They are crazy expensive from Mazda, but worth it.

1 Like

Any chance of a picture ?? I think mx5 parts does them cheaper …thanks

1 Like

I made these, simple to do.image image

4 Likes

The Mazda ones are £115 from Mazda or £73 from MX-5 parts.
They are only tiny, but just enough to stop the edge of the side skirt getting chipped to bits.

1 Like

Neat I like that. What did you make it from?

Almost made similar for a 987 Cayman I had, as they suffer badly from gravel rash.

2mm black HDPE plastic. Acrylic could possibly work but is far more brittle.
This is version 2, the first ones extended up to the 3rd plastic pop rivet that holds the arch liner on, went down lower and was wider, but to me looked too big.
Hopefully these will do something to minimise gravel rash.

2 Likes

Where do you get your plastic from? eBay, Amazon?
Great idea, very like the Lotus Elise flaps.:+1:

Beyond that you could PPF along the sill trim.

As I said mine is 3 years, 14k miles and the rest of the sill is not that chipped at all.

If someone was to offer that style for sale I’d buy it, if my sills weren’t already stuffed anyway!

I’ll try and find the seller and post details.

1 Like

2mmx250mmx1000mm black HDPE plastic sheet, eBay, church-products-uk £17, sorry I don’t know how to create link.
Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I purchased this HDPE Sheet Black - High Density Polyethylene PEHD Thermoplastic Polythene mm | eBay It is thin enough to cut with a craft knife and stiff enough for the job.
500mmX250mm

:heart:

2 Likes

Wow, these look good! I’ve seen custom made ones on the miata.net forums but these are the nicest I’ve seen. Do you have a set behind the rear wheels?

I’m not keen on the genuine Mazda ones since they both extend from/protrude into the adjacent body panels and look somewhat awkward when either colour coded or unpainted.

I’ve not done the rears yet, another little project for some time in the future.:slightly_smiling_face:.
If I was a computer wiz I would post a template for anyone wanting to copy it, unfortunately I’m not :anguished:.

If it entices you, I would be happy to buy set of front and rear ones from you :grimacing::+1: