Steering sticking (Full lock)

1. My model of MX-5 is: MX5 NB MK 2.5
  2. I’m based near: Newcastle
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Steering

Hi,

I have noticed recently that the steering in my NB seems to stick. It only sticks when Im at full lock to the right, and sometimes it does not stick at all. I have never had it happen on the left. The feeling of the steering has never changed since I bought it 21/11/2020.

I have noticed a cracking sound when manoeuvring at low speeds (almost stand-still) and I think it may be a wheel bearing (or similar).

Would this cause the steering to stick and is this a common issue?

Thanks

what do you mean by sticking ? Does it just stay there and refuse to self centre ? If its that then its going to be an alignment issue. I’ve not had it on an MX-5 but one of my daily drivers did that badly, when nearly at full lock if you let go of the wheel it snapped to full lock, rather than try to centre, it was most disconcerting when doing slow manoeuvres, an alignment fixed it.

1 Like

Sometimes it does it, sometimes not. Yep it stays there and then holds until I pull the wheel a bit then it recenters.

Ok thanks

A few things to check, is the suspension lowered or standard? are the wheels bigger/different from normal, are spacers fitted, is the tyre rubbing or sticking on a suspension component?
It could be an alignment issue if the caster is too extreme (bit like pulling a shopping trolley backwards) first thing I’d check is if there is any play in the front wheels, give them a good tug left & right + top to bottom. Second is to check the power steering fluid is topped up, if it isn’t then fill it & bleed the system (turn full lock to full lock a few times holding it at each end a couple of seconds)

1 Like

Hmm, check for one or more worn ball joints on suspension or track rods.

1 Like