Suddenly wobbly

Odd problem - the last couple of days going to and from work, my MkII starts to vibrate after about 10 minutes of doing 50-60mph.  It feels like going over rumble strips, and last time got steadily worse until I had to stop to investigate.  Once I stop or slow down, it goes away.  The only clue I have is the nearside front brake was very hot when I got home; much hotter than the offside.  Could be a seized brake overheating, but not sure why that would cause the shaking.

Otherwise tyres are fine, handling is fine, steering is fine.  Any ideas anyone?

Purely a guess here, But could it be a slightly warped disc that gets more “Pringle shaped” the hotter it gets ?

Do you get a rhythmic rubbing sound from that wheel that slowly get worse as you drive ?

Scotty B.

You obviously have a braking problem, get that sorted and see if the vibration persists 

mike 

That sounds plausible.    Definitely a rhythm there, but I’ve got no idea where it’s coming from.  Whole car shakes; can’t really feel it through the stereing wheel

Hi. yes you have a sticking caliper, it needs replacing, along with the front discs / pads very probably Thumbs up

Because the caliper is sticking, which will be more than likely slider pins not greased up correct, that side is braking all the time so you are pushing the roadtser forward under braking, think of it as trying to drive with the hand brake on,she will be pulling also to one side .

Get it sorted asap, before you bring on more damage and a bigger fxing bill, at the minute it just sounds like a mornings fettling before it become a new caliper, disks, pads etc and labour costs

Are you going to be swinging the odd spanner yourself with this? and getting your hands dirty?

M-m

Have the holidays off work so may well get my hands dirty if it’s just a case of unsticking the sticky caliper.  My first car - a Datsun Cherry - needed its calipers unsticking every two weeks.  If not, will add it to the shopping list I’m about to give my local garage.

Thanks for the advice all!

It could conceivable be a shot wheel bearing, would cause a wobble… But it would have been preceded by a few thousand miles of unmistakable bearing scream, which I doubt you would have missed… Unless it took a clout on a kerb.

Yes Thumbs up

No Thumbs Down

Thats what we are here for to talk you through it, to do it right and save your £’s

M-m

Ah well, a combination of rain and bad knees meant the garage got the job in the end.  You were all absolutely right though, front discs warped but calipers saved, so many thanks for your collective advice.

Useful thread as I have this exact problem. Vibration started last week and washed the car after a run yesterday and steam was coming from passenger front wheel. Is this an expensive job for someone to unstick the calliper or could this be done by a novice?

If its something that i could have a go at are there any guides for unsticking and replacing discs?

Since this thread has been resurrected, I ought to add that about 4 weeks after new discs and unstuck caliper, it happened again.  Luckily no damage to new discs but caliper was repalced altogether this time.

Yes you can.

And where are you?

http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=416

But it could be a rusted pot sticking, which you could replace the seals and pots or fit a refurb caliper, but the cheapest option is the link above for the minute.

M-m

Was it an expensive job? Just trying to budget…

A novice CAN do this work to solve their problem.

M-m

Im just south of glasgow. Will have a look at the link and see if its something im capable ofConfused

Hi. I just wanted to add that I just experienced this and it was indeed a stuck front right calliper. I got KwikFit to replace it, and the front discs and pads, and it cost £350. They said this was with a friendly ‘discount’. Haven’t had much of a chance to drive it since, as it’s 2020 and we’re in the middle of COVID-19 lockdown, but i did drive it quickly up to the motorway and it seems to have fixed it. I took a look at he calliper and disc they took off, and it was indeed very seized, and more importantly, the disc was warped from being overheated, and that I presume was causing the vibration - not poorly balanced wheels, as had been my first suspicion.

Anywho. Just wanted to add a confirmation and a price so other people searching might find this reassuring, and that it’s not just the supposedly famous shimmy.

Rear brake caliper they get red hot and distort causing shudder it’s a common fault