Tailgaters

The dictionary tells me it means driving too close to someone.

Logically, a safe distance is speed and conditons dependant. As qualified drivers, I expect we already all know this. I am surprised you have not come across the term before, but happy to help expand your knowledge of motoring terminology.

I don’t know how you drive your EV.

We fitted a rear boot lid flashing brake light that flashes 8 times and goes solid, that as worked in traffic to give space, as for roads and motorways ,we point at the rear facing camera that works for them to back off from their testosterone spurt.
I find its the electric cars that give the most hassle as they are either bulling in front to someone else or trying it on with me.
" tailgating =…Up your ar*e end"
M-m

There are a lot of silly people in this world.
As someone, like many, who in the past saw 30 limits as a way to shorten the predicted arrival time, I now believe it is morally wrong to break 30 limits regardless of time of day, traffic conditions or the emptiness of roads. Unless it were a dire medical emergency, such as conveying someone in danger of dying to hospital, there are very few valid excuses. Being late, is certainly not valid. Just a couple of weeks ago, on a suburban road 30mph road, that includes two schools, not only did a white van attempt intercourse with the rear of my car, because I would not speed up, they flashed me several times. Just know that they participate in DIY sex and their mother and father were not only not married, but probably didn’t know each others names.

Anyway, feast in the dangers of driving above 30 mph!

2 Likes

‘I try to only tailgate the slow car in front when they are hogging the right hand lane and refuse to pull over into a lane further left.’

May be some points on your licence could help you to understand how much of a danger to other road users you are. Sorry but you are completely out of order behaving like you do.
:heart:

2 Likes

If it FEELS too close, it (likely) IS too close…and the speed limit is sovereign. Even if someone is undershooting it on the overtaking lane, that doesn’t confer any rights whatsoever to harass via tailgating, hooting, flashing etc. Driving home from a day on the beach on the south coast today god help you if you were on the outside lane at the speed limit overtaking, there was always someone up the rear end…argh

1 Like

Well said and from previous experience it IS Dangerous/Careless driving end of.
I like the previous comments too of just pull over and let them go on by. :slightly_smiling_face:

I did that yesterday but somehow it felt like ‘defeat’…

1 Like

:man_shrugging: But you live to tell the tail! :wink::+1:
In a previous life have prosecuted a few and LGV’s are the worst!

1 Like

If I read that correctly I think we are in violent agreement.

Skill in operating the machine is not driving skill in the context of road safety and cooperation. A basic level is necessary, but not sufficient.

The first aim IMO should be to avoid getting into a situation where one needs the lightning reactions of Lewis Hamilton or the car control skills of Colin Macrae (similar applies to pilots, I am sadly reminded). If I fly, I want a pilot who follows the SOP, not an aerobatic genius who makes up his own rules.

COAST (concentration, observation, anticipation, space, time) and the 2 second rule are perhaps a good place to start.

And yes, I do like to ‘make progress’.

1 Like

A fast drive in my eunos on the country roads near me seems slow at the same speeds in my large tubby bmw so I’d have to tailgate myself :rofl:

1 Like

Sounds like someone’s been on a speed awareness course. I’ve got a free pen with that on :wink:

1 Like

Their excuse will be that they are trying to drive at the speed that maximises fuel economy. This style of driving seems to be most prevalent amongst drivers of Nissan Micras and VW Polos. Not all though!

On motorways, if I leave what I think is sufficient space to the car in front, some d*** head will invariably undertake me and pull in between me and the car in front. I nearly always end up going backwards in a queue of cars as a result even when travelling at the speed limit.

1 Like

It is freakily annoying especially when driving topless, I have learned to indicate left and slow down, same as I always do for bikers when safe for them to pass. Let them pass, I’m out on a run with no real purpose other than enjoyment. Its likely they are in a rush for their own entitled reason. Let them go, free them, and away!

1 Like

Well, if you drive “topless” no wonder you get tailgated :grinning:

5 Likes

If female it may get you into trouble and depending on age and size it may cause congestion or accidents. Thinking about it it even may cause both.

Please be considerate and responsible adult :sweat_smile:

I have stuck a small magnet on my wind blocker and attached a bright blue £5 carcam from the “50p shop”. It’s not connected, but easily visible to those behind. I have seen the dreaded “white van man” (apologies if you are one) drive up right to my bumper, see the camera and then back right off. Works 70% of the time. If someone doesn’t back off, I simply point to the camera and give a :+1: sign, that works most of the time to get them to back off. I’m pretty sure it’s "my car is faster than yours . . . " but 190bhp and great cornering often leaves them well behind on the bends :laughing:

Advert : Tinted windblocker by Roadie :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I agree with everything that all respondents have said on the matter of tailgating on here.

I was so sick of it happening to me in my Mk1 that I asked the police at our local police station if I purchased a rear facing camera, to fit onto the windbreaker and brought the evidence in to them, would they take any action against the offending motorist. They were very non comital about it except to say that the camera would probably stop them if they realised it was there.
I suggested that maybe I should paste a notice below the camera saying “Smile you are on camera” but they were not too keen on that either.

A while back I contacted the police about slow moving vehicles that caused tail back of cars and was ultimately causing drivers to drive in away that was sometimes dangerous as they tried to overtake the slow vehicle. Their response was that if there were ten or more vehicles in a queue behind the slow moving vehicle, then they should pull over to let the traffic pass, and if they didn’t someone should take this vehicles number plate and report them to the police and then they, the police, would have words with them.

1 Like

#m3 – Explore]-R

1 Like

Fyi… coming from Anglesey i was stuck behind someone in an electric kia doing 45 in a 50 and wouldn’t move to the left even if there was nobody Infront or on the left. The chap behind me decided to pass on the left just as we got to a 70 zone only for the bloke in the kia (that had whole family in the car) to out acccelerate everyone jump to 80 and move to the left. I proceed to move behind him and stick to the speed i was intending of going anyway.

Honestly some people have issues

3 Likes