Thank you

Publishing the postcode is no help to people without SatNavs - we don’t all have that facility.  Bearing in mind how long MX-5s have been in production, it is logical to assume that SatNav-equipped cars would quite possibly be in the minority ! 

The reason Parker saw so many MX-5s ‘going in all sorts of other directions’ was because Ashton Court was NOT brown-signposted very well.  Despite living (reasonably) locally - well, Frome, some 25 miles away - we had never been there before, so we were relying on signage to guide us.  Our thanks go out to the RF demonstration driver who showed us the way from the new South Bristol Link Road, where he obviously saw us scratching our heads whilst stopped on a slip road ! 

The absence of good brown-signage is not the responsibility of the OC of course - it is Bristol City Council’s, but coming from the south of the city, Ashton Court is not actually signposted at all, until you get right on top of it that is !  I have to admit, I was expecting to see dedicated MX-5 signage from major city approach roads, but had no idea that getting permission to do this was that complicated or expensive.  

That small gripe aside, the rally itself was fabulous, and we would like to reiterate everyone’s thanks to the club for organising such a brilliant day.  Can’t wait for the next one !  

Chris Phillips

Thank you also to the Scouts in conducting the car parking duties. Must have been very daunting seeing all of the 5’s turning up, hope they made a few pounds for their outstanding efforts towards Troop funds.

Thank you to all those who helped make the rally happen, you did yourselves proud. 

This is the first rally I’ve been to where I wasn’t in an MX-5, but had what felt like half of one in the back of my car as I was doing the autojumble.

A couple of people said that they’d had problems when the did the autojumble at Donington, mainly people being rude and that they wouldn’t do it again. This wasn’t what I found, everyone was friendly and I cleared a lot of parts that I no longer had any use for. I think if you treat people ok then they’ll be fine with you.

Would I do it again? Definitely, without a question.

And congratulations to Paula and Michael for coming 1st and 2nd in the Lightly Modified Mk1 section of the car competitions. 

I met Paula at Gaydon in 2014 and Michael at Sandringham the year before when I used to compete. A nicer couple of people you couldn’t wish to meet and so happy you’ve got the results.

It’s great when the good people win, there is one bad loser who each year moans about what the judge has found and has tried to get people marked down to get a higher place. They could learn a lot from this pair instead of throwing their toys out of the pram, blaming everyone but themselves and saying they’ll never return (but are there the next rally).

See you all at Gaydon in September.

I always look on Google maps at home on my PC before setting off on an unknown journey, pop in the postcode and presto the location is there, if you look on street view you can even see the exact junction or entrance.

Portable Sat Navs are not expensive, they do not have to be fully installed as a permanent fixture.

That is a good idea Speedy, although I’ve never used Google maps !  I’m afraid that I’m of the generation that still rely on road signs, and considering how much we pay for road tax - I expect them !

OK, so I’m a Luddite !  Perhaps I should be driving an MGB instead of an MX-5 - but then, at my age, I prefer the comfort of an MX-5 !

Good grief.  Some of you lot want spoon-feeding, don’t you?! 

What ever did we do before SatNavs?  That’s right - plan out the route before you set off - either using Google Maps and Streetview - or failing that, whatever’s wrong with a good ‘old-fashioned’ OS map and some hand-written notes?  

Fab rally, gorgeous setting and the bonus of lovely weather.  Found the location with no problem at all.

PS BannedBiker - you also know the person that came third in ‘Mk1 Lightly Modified’  - and agree with you absolutely about Paula and Michael.

I would like to say it was a very good rally, the location issue was not a problem as 1. I already had looked where it was on various mapping formats before I went (I had a sat nav but didn’t use it!) and 2. we went past the venue entrance on the bus the day before on the way from our digs in Portishead to Bristol.

And we were glad we went into Bristol on the Saturday as this http://www.biamf.co.uk/ was on! A few hundred thousand pounds of Italian exotica.

Yes it was a really good day helped by the weather. I watched the Mazda Mania guy fitting a roof for a while he made it look a lot easier than when I fitted mine a few years ago that’s what comes with experience and know how I suppose. 

Great day out thanks.   

Sorry Steve, congratulations on getting 3rd place.

Also well done to the Ian’s in the modified section.

(Think that’s everyone covered now ). 

Patricia and me (john) would like to thank everyone connected with the organization of this years spring rally, truly wonderful day and great venue. met up with some members from past nationals and plus new ones always such a pleasure talking to members from different area’s.

The Scouts enjoyed the day and had a good time helping out on the day, they did a great job of parking the cars, lining them up around the Balloon too!

They had some cans and buckets to gather some donations on the day, raising £33.43 for the Brunel District Explorer Scouts.

I had no problem finding the location…joined a convoy of MX5 travelling down the M5, job done 

That is a bit of a pitiful amount considering how many were there and what a good job they did. Could the club top it up to a decent amount for them or could we have a bit of a whip round?