The Book Thread! what are you reading, what do you recomend

so its a thread about BOOKS

what are reading, what have you read in the past, what books have influenced you!
do you prefer paper books or audiobooks.
when you read or listen!

everything about books!

so for me, i am a big fan of audiobooks
because i am dislexic audiobooks are simply easier!
tradtional books no matter how good the story can often be abit of a slog for me.

i have most recently been listening to the DUNE series.
im currently working my way through the original 6 brian herbert books and so far they are fantastic.
admittedly i have had to listen to them several times over before i could really get a good grip of some of the deeper stuff in there but fortunatly the story is good enough to warrent a relisten or 2!

i also recenly had a relisten to STARSHIP TROOPERS by Robert heinlein.
very different from the film a good listen and it raises some interesting questions about society, civics and crime and punishment but it does it without being boring or preachy!

anyway what about you guys!

3 Likes

Hi there,
Reading Trouble with Lichen by John Wyndham - managed to smuggle a sci-fi past the book group at last! Also reading Forest by Edward Rutherford - great read. It takes the New Forest through history of place and people.
Dune series is excellent - although I still havenā€™t recovered from the recent film that stops halfway through the original book! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:It should have been called Dune Part 1!

2 Likes

I do like a bit of Audible on longer journeysā€¦ I tend to be more interested in non fiction, just finished Michael Macintyreā€™s autobiography, A Funny Life, which is well worth a listen, once it gets going.

If you have an interest in where we are going with Artificial Intelligence this is eye opening.
Life 3.0 by Max Tegmark
I would recommend that to anyone with a vague interest. It is not technical, more philosophical, with an edge of political.

2 Likes

Talking of audio books, the complete Sherlock Holmes stories read by Stephen Fry is superb

Guy Martin: Dead Men Donā€™t Tell Tales.

speaking of non fiction.

hold on, i need to take a run at this!

so im sure people have noticed that i am somewhat of a firebrand on a certain issue (media) with what i am sure some consider be to crazy ideaā€™s and they have probably wondered where i got them from!
well the answer is a book and that book is!

MANUFACTURING CONSENT by noam chomsky and edward herman.

basically its about how media is used to controll us to the benifit of the rulers!

now if i try to explain anymore that that i will make a mess of it, so here is a link to its wikipedia page!
Manufacturing Consent - Wikipedia.

@elaine-mccarthy yes i agree about the dune film stopping halfway!
on the whole i think that the film is ok. i was disapointed tho that they left out the dinner party scene.
i think it would have helped building pauls character and also gently introduced some themes and characters that will/should pop up later on! such as the smuggler chief and liets vision for changing the desert, a vision that paul becomes the bearer off as he later rises to lead the fremen.

1 Like

Strange - Iā€™ve been reading sci-fi for getting on for five decades but never read the Dune series.
Iā€™ll have to rectify that.

1 Like

when you read dune be prepared to see paralels with starwars!
due to the reason that george lucas was heavily influenced by dune when writing the original starwars trilogy!

With you on the missed scenes too! - Long film so plenty of time to introduce characters properly - a missed opportunity.
Thanks for starting this thread.

1 Like

Well, youā€™re reading this on a forum where the advertising is right at the top, for MX5Parts, and the censorship gets applied when politics or religion becomes an active part of a discussion.
Complaints ?

I havenā€™t actually read that particular book by Noam Chomsky, although Iā€™ve long been aware of the general thrust of his views. [ Some of his ideas can be seen in the rise of direct action, for example, Extinction Rebellion ] One book I read long ago, as a student in the early '70ā€™s, is ā€˜The Hidden Persuadersā€™ by Vance Packard, which addresses consumerism, and the multiplicity of ways that advertisers go about their business of what can loosely be described as emotional manipulation.

You may also be interested in the work of Michael Pollan who has written variously about the food we eat. His books, for example, In Defense of Foodā€¦, also Food Rules: An Eaters Manifesto . In general, what he is talking about is the industrialisation of food, the rise of nutritionism as a mask for the ultra-processing of food, which leads you to become more questioning about what you buy, and what you eat. His advice approximates to ā€œā€¦ eat only what your grandmother would recognise as foodā€¦ā€. Alsoā€¦ in order of preferenceā€¦, food that started out with no legs. If not, then 2 legs. Finally, 4 legs.

In my case, as I survey supermarket shelves, rather a lot on display would barely qualify as food. As Iā€™ve got older, more and more I eat, every day, proper fruit and vegetables, fish, chicken. I seldom eat red meat these days, but would happily eat, for example, liver and onions that my family ate when I was a kid. Cheap, tasty, and healthy. And very unfashionable.

You mentioned your enthusiasm for Max Blumenthal in an earlier post about Ch4. Heā€™s an investigative journalist. There is a difference between mainstream news reporting, and investigative journalism, and itā€™s not necessarily because mainstream news is somehow automatically corrupt and unclean, or that an investigative journalist is some kind of god of truth. Blumenthal rather missed that in a recent tweet complaining that no one had properly investigated how many people had died in the rocket strike on a theatre in Mariupol. Iā€™d call it the ā€˜fog of warā€™.

1 Like

I didnā€™t mention that book to continue the (haha) discussion.
no, not at all, enough people think Iā€™m bat ā– ā– ā– ā–  crazy already, so no I donā€™t want to do any more of that.
but what I did want to do was show that my crazy ideas are based on reality in the hopes that those that do already think Iā€™m crazy to soften their view toward me.
also, a documentary of that book was in my suggestions this morning which is what made me think of it!

anyway moving on.

I am with you on the food thing.
I havenā€™t read any of those books but i did see the food inc documentary many years back.
since then whenever I get the chance to get homegrown food I jump at it.
at my old house, I used to grow several different low-maintenance fruits, raspberries, gooseberries, rhubarb, and then use Bramley apples from my brotherā€™s tree or plums from a neighborā€™s tree and eggs from another neighbor to turn them into crumbles and tarts and even wines.

there is a great sense of satisfaction, accomplishment, and well-being to be gotten from eating homegrown and for some strange reason it even tastes better!

anyway, I am getting well off-topic here so um yeah, il shut up now!

1 Like

On the subject of books I actually wrote a novel recently called ā€˜Too Big A Biteā€™ and the main character drives a Mazda MX-5 NC Venture (strangely as I do) Iā€™m not trying to advertise my book but thought I would mention it on this thread. If you are interested though it is free to read on Amazon kindle unlimited. :slight_smile:

I read a book a week and seem to focus on books about Special Forces, SAS, SBS, Seals, Delta etc. I have about 150 of them on my kindle. If you like an action packed adventure book then I would highly recommend James Deeganā€˜s Once A Pilgrim followed by The Angry Sea. They are absolute crackers, gripping you from the first few pages.

Other great authors in this genre include Stephen Leather, Chris Ryan, Duncan Falconer and James Barrington.

the only military action books Iā€™ve ever read were some of the sven hassle books.
they are WW2 but from the perspective of anti-nazi germans forced to fight in penal battalions!

putting aside the rather odd viewpoint sven hassle actually tells a good story!
however, there is a lot of backstory to mister hassle and his books and they probably should not be read by impressionable teenagers who do not know the wider history of the period or the history and controversy of mister hassle himself!

1 Like

Iā€™m nearly finished Eternal by Craig Russell about a fictional copper trying to find a serial killer. Really good book. The Stand by Stephen King is one of my favourites.

Iā€™ve never been into crime books.
BUT,
I do read Terry Pratchettā€™s Discworld books and Iā€™ve gotta be honest some of my favorite books in the series are about the city watch!
which are crime books but set in a sword, magic, and sandals world!
they are kind of a police comedy - solving absurd crimes kind of thing.

so if you like your crime novel on the lighter side they are definatly worth a read!

2 Likes

Real Pratchett Fan. Never read a bad one. like the Tiffany Aching books, as well as the witch and watch ones. The Lost Continent is brilliant!

Iā€™m a great fan of Terry Pratchettā€™s books too, especially the Tiffany Aching stories which are written with a gentler hand. The first book of his I read was ā€˜The Dark Side Of The Sunā€™ in the mid 'seventies (great humorous science fiction - shades of Isaac Azimov) and absolutely loved it but could find nothing else by this man Pratchett for several years. And then came Discworld :grinning:

Terry Pratchettā€™s work is excellent, he was an amazing observer of humanityā€™s strengths, weaknesses and foibles and satirised everything via the medium of a highly-detailed fantasy world populated with wonderful characters. Not only great entertainment, many of the books really make you think and re-evaluate the real world.

1 Like

Pratchett is satire at its best - need to do some re-reading.
Finally finished For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway - found it hard going, with many insights from the different characters - gives a real feeling of war, but quite a grim novel - maybe thatā€™s the point, thinking of whatā€™s happening around the world today - when will we ever learnā€¦

1 Like