Track day tips?

Hi all!

Any tips for a novice first timer going on a track day (Bruntingthorpe 2017) in his daily driver MX5 Sport NC completely stock?

Thanks!

Don’t try to go too quickly before you are confident. Don’t worry about the other faster drivers coming past you. Build your speed throughout the day.  Make sure your car is in good condition and full of the correct fluids and keep checking. Make sure there is nothing loose in your car or the boot that can fly around. This includes under the seats.  If there is tuition available, which there often is, it’s worth a brief session if you have no track experience. go to the briefing and follow the rules. You will never have more fun.

Done a few track days in our NC BBR Super 200. Some tips:

Fit the tow hooks, front and rear, before you go.  Some track day organisers require this. 

Check your brake pads (front especially) have plenty on them  Drove back from Bedford last week metal on metal. The OEM pads lasted three track days. 

Take some brake fluid and oil just in case.

Maybe drop the tyre pressures by a couple  of PSI. Ours on Kumho KU39 starts at 27psi and gets up to 35psi in a session.(There are mixed opinions on pressures… really depends on tyres)

Fill up just before you get there. Our NC does a tank plus over the day (when my son’s driving).

Do a warm up lap, run flat out for 20 mins, then a cool down lap.  Then let the car recover for 20 mins!

Don’t apply the handbrake during the breal.

Check your wheel nuts at lunchtime. 

Pay around £20 for a session with an instructor. 

Give the car in front plenty of room.  If it spins and stays on track… you need plenty of room to avoid it. Our NC nearly became an NB hybrid when the NA in front pirouetted last week.  

Drive within your and the car’s limits.  Don’t worry about going too slow. Some organisers put a yellow sticker on the back of your car to let others know you’re a newbie  

AND have fun… you will.

WARNING: It becomes an expensive addiction.

all the above. and at Bruntingthorpe, don’t be shy and get a passenger ride in another NC. Many will oblige if you explain. I’ll be there

Obviously you will need a helmet and, if it a hot day, remember to take something that covers your arms. ( Long sleeves).

Shhh - don’t tell her indoors, but I must have spent at least double what I did originally on the car 

Thanks Guys!

Appreciate the tips, ill take them on board! Can’t wait to get out there!

You’re going to stress your car more than you will on the road. I’d do an oil and filter change (and air filter) before you go and make sure the engine oil level is kept topped right up to the maximum level.

Do take some oil to top up with because if you ever need it, it will be after hard driving on the track.