Track use prep advice

Hi All, I’ve recently picked up a rather nice 2010 MX5 NC2 2.0l Sport, that will be used a weekend/track car.

Looking for some recommendations for the following things, baring in mind track use:

1. Wheel size/setup - 17x8?

2. discs/pads

3. engine oil

4. Gearbox oil

5. Diff oil

Give me a call and I’ll happily advise
Paul
07770 566599

1 Like

Give everything a good service. Special attention to the brakes, some circuits are very hard in brakes.
Make sure the discs and pads have plenty of meat on them.
Also worth changing your brake fluid for a Motorsport spec one to stop it boiling after heavy braking, as you’ll lose brakes.
Plenty of tread on your tyres also, and watch the pressures after a few laps, you will have to let air out as they get hot and expand.

Tyres with lots of tread will wear more that those with less.

And assuming it’s dry, tyres with lots of tread will usually have less grip than virtually bald ones.

That is not particularly the case. You need guage of rubber to generate heat in the rubber to energise it and also to confirm to the features in the road. It is a balancing act between too much tread and overheating, and not enough to be effective.

1 Like

Just to update if anyone stumbles across this at a later date searching for similar info, here’s what I’ve ended up finding out or ordering.

1. Wheel size/setup
    17x7.5 et45

2. discs/pads
    discs any decent brand smooth set / pads I’ll likely be trying Roddisons next

3. engine oil
    5w30 fully synth

4. Gearbox oil
    I’ve gone with Redline MT90 GL4

5. Diff oil
    I’ve gone with Redline 75w-90 GL5

1 Like