Transmission Differential Swap

The differential on my mk3 is getting a bit noisy as it approaches 100k miles. Have been looking online for used units but sellers are reluctant to divulge history mileage. Local breakers have a low mileage diff from a 2010 2.0 Auto. Mazda say this is not compatable with the five speed manual in my 1.8 as ratio is different.
Has anyone ever tried this? Is ratio lower or higher?

The diff in yours will be a 3.909 and the Auto on will be a 4.1 so will lower the gearing

Don’t know whether this link confirms or refutes that

1 Like

Thanks sound like it could be a good upgrade for track day, and car club slalom and autotest events.
Is there any way of checking if the diff has Limited Slip?

it’s an open diff

Just bought the diff for a future fit. Either when noise gets unbearable or the clutch goes.
Found online a simple check for LSD. In gear if wheels are jacked up. Turning one wheel the other turns in same direction it’s A LSD. Opposite direction std open diff. I can just about twiddle the splines with figertips in opposite directions so I guess that confirms its a standard diff. Will also try to check ratio. Thanks for all the feedback.

only works on a plate diff not a Torsen

Hi Richard, so do you know of a static test for a Torsen when fitted to the vehicle.
Dave