Trolley jack recommendation required for an ND

1. My model of MX-5 is: _ND2 RF 1.5
  2. I’m based near: __Hampshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Trolley jacks

Hi all,
First post here, having taken delivery of a ND2 1.5 RF last week.
Is anyone able to recommend a trolley jack that can reach the front sub frame, please? I want to lift the front without faffing about with ramps at the same time. I’ve got a decent trolley jack, but can’t even get close to the sub frame.

Hi
I bought the 2 ton professional trolley Jack from Halfords and find it brilliant on my 30AE
A version with lowered springs may want to check clearance but l can get to front and rear cross member/ diff
Cheers
Steve

Driving up onto, even a 1” board will always make things easier
Steve

I have a sgs 3 tonne trolley jack and I must say it’s excellent. Unsure if it will reach but it’s fairly long. I store it under my tool chest nice and neat but it is bulky if you have little room.
Here’s a link.
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3lpx2-js-low-profile-garage-trolley-jack-four-axle-stands?utm_campaign=pdp_related&utm_medium=web&tmsb=r3qlz9o&tmrl=r5khd81&tmsl=product-page-related-products&tmty=w&tmcv=5&tmcs=71v4ng2

Thanks for the advice. Given I’ve already got a decent jack and limited space in my garage, I think I’ll have another look tomorrow to see how short of clearance I am and see if some board will be enough to get it under

I have a “normal” two tonne trolley jack with a 20" long handle, which gets nowhere near the subframe jacking point from the front of the car. Solved by driving front wheels onto a short, floorboard-thickness piece of wood, with full right hand steering lock applied. I can then wheel the jack under from the front of the right hand front wheel and line the jack up centrally under the cross member. With the jack suitably positioned diagonally, there’s room to move the jack lever up and down in the space between the wheel and the wheel arch. Axle stands then positioned for safety as with any other type of jack once the car is raised. Obviously this process also works on the left hand side of the car, depending on your work area.

Two of these , made from 8x2 “ plus 1” lifter makes life easy :white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

1 Like

What a great and obvious idea. Getting my steel ramps out each time I need to use the jack is a nuisance

1 Like

My thoughts too - I think I’ll be making a pair of those at the weekend!

I know you said you didn’t wish to use ramps, however I bought a pair of long thin plastic/nylon ramps for this reason, they are lightwieght, easy to store in the garage, and no horror show if you don’t quite get it right first time as only a small rise. similar to these:

I have also found them useful for leveling the feet of my step ladders when cleaning windows gutter etc in the garden !

The full description for the low-rise ramps states

Suitable for low-speed sports cars, racing cars, etc. to get small jacks.

I think my MX5 counts as low-speed :smiley:

If I’ve not got any suitable timber going spare, I might give them a try.

One of the reasons not being keen on using ramps is I often seem to push 1 or both along the ground, rather than climbing them. Putting them on top of some old rubber mats might solve that. And if it’s only a few inches high, no harm will come of it anyway.

I got a bit carried away at the weekend and built these ramps. I need to reduce the height of the end stops because there’s very little clearance. They’re so much better than the steel ramps I’ve used in the past.

3 Likes