Turning off the Sound Tube without removal? - Quick Hack?

Please forgive me. I’ve just bought an NC 3.5, what is this sound tube?

ISE. Induction Sound Enhancement.
On the NC and ND (maybe not all models?).

As you look under the bonnet on the right hand side you will see a plastic tube configuration which goes into the bulkhead.
It’s designed to give you induction “sound” when driving.
I am literally in the process of taking mine off as it’s pretty pointless (in my opinion).
Just waiting for a blank plug to arrive tomorrow that should “hopefully” fit over the hose.
On mine a 3.75 the bulkhead hole is oval and not round. So have taken the end off the tube, blanked it off and bolted it back on.
Also made a bracket to support the solenoid/pipework.
Just a couple of pictures.

As a temporary measure I took the connection off the bulkhead and cut some foam rubber type sheet (around 4mm thick) to place over the oval hole. I then just replaced the tube connection over the foam rubber. It was s temporary measure, TBH I don’t know if it’s made any difference as we normally drive with the top down. I purposefully drove the last few miles home top up. The sound from the back box sounded nice though, top up. Maybe I’ll test again sound tube unblocked and compare.

1 Like

Your fabricated bracket looks the business.
There is a genuine Mazda part ( No.LF9L-13-179 ) that fits the Firewall. I believe it can be had from Mazda for less than £10.
It look to be the same as the one in the MX5 Parts ISE Removal Kit.

1 Like

One other thing that springs to mind, you’ve a tee piece on a main air hose to carry the sound. Does anyone else think this could upset the airflow to the intake?

My Miyako doesn’t have it - Phew…
I think it was the “Sport” models that did.

1 Like

Just to conclude my removal.
End stop fitted and a tight good fit.
The diameter of the pipe is 50mm/1.5 inches.
DON’T be tempted to buy the 2 inch one it’s far too large.

3 Likes

I just used a silicon end cap

2 Likes