tyre change

Hello all, 

I have only owned a mx5 2006 2lt sport since may this year and will need to renew all four tyres soon.I am currently using Bridgestone potenza and have no experiance with other makes of tyre .Ive looked at tyre guides but would appreciate the advice from those of you who have lived with the mx5.This is my only form of transport so noise reduction on motorways would help. thank you for any advice ,

Regards Sammy Blue

Michelin PS4, they are not cheap, however Black Circles do 10% off quite regularly. I’ve had these tyres on my 2.0 Sport for 2 years now, and they are quite simply superb, there wet grip is outstanding, and I’ve also used them for track days and Sprints, Stunning tyres! I’m just about to fit a full set to my BMW 2 series Coupe.

You’ll get a lot of other recommendations for the likes of Khumo and Rainsport 3’s, I’ve had RS3’s and found them excellent in the wet but they are a soft tyre and suffer on the track and when pushing hard on the road, and not such a good all rounder as the PS4.

Cheers Vaughan

hi Vaughan, I took your advice and went for the michelin ps4 and have not looked back.the mx5 is at its best !!!!! 

Cheers SB

do you not find that it rides a bit hard on the ps4’s 

Great to hear, will be replacing my rears in Feb for my MOT - Brilliant tyres!

Mine has been lowered so I can’t really say, also it was a couple of years ago when I fitted them. It’s a sports car and therefore I don’t mind a hard ride and the performance both in the wet and dry makes up for it.

should have asked the question better 

i am lowered with superpro bushes all round 

in the summer i run ps4

in the winter i run Mud and snow tyres 

and i noticed a hell of a lot of difference from the summer to the winter setup to a point that i have to change the suspension to make allowances for it 

now i know the winter tyres are softer tread and sidewalls 

but has a test i put a used set of proxies on (borrowed of a friend) and they were harder than the winter but nowhere near as hard a ride has the ps4 

now don’t get me wrong i won’t put anything other than ps4 on the car in the summer but i do find the sidewalls very stiff 

i have always found this funny has my tyre fitter friend hates it when i get federal rs-r as they are a bloody nightmare to fit (not for me hehe)

and i rate the ps4 as a harder ride than the rs-r 

Hi , I use the mx all year round and find the michelin ps4 good in all seasons, my drive to work is on minor roads mainly country lanes so its a treat to actually get going on a decent road surface.In all iam happy i went for these tyres !!!
Best Wishes

1 Like