Tyre recommendation for mk2.5 16" 205/45/16?

What’s the current recommendation for 205/45/16 tyres for a mk2?

The Kumho PS71 seem to get good recommendations but some people complain for them going out of balance, P Zero Nero GT and Dunlop SP Sport Max RT are available in this size but not PS4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

I had the Kumhos on my mk1 as 15" they were good tyres but when I rotated them from front to rear everything went to pot and handling went all weird so nervous getting them again.

I’ve had the Kumho KU39 Ecsta LE Sport on my 2.5 since about 2016 now and no issues with them.

2 Likes

Had Kumho tyres in the past and found them borderline budget trash. I’d say Conti Sport Contact 5s were worse, but not by much.
The Sport Maxes you mentioned or even Asymmetric 2 (which of course must be a bit old now, in terms of when they originally came out) I’d stick on long before I’d go anywhere near those Kumhos

1 Like

I’m having a set of rainsports fitted on Friday to replace the current aged turanzas so will let you know how it goes.
I was thinking of Toyo but looking at the EU rating sticker decide against as they do not rate very well at anything.

3 Likes

Kumho on both my cars, despite what anyone says I’ll have them fitted again when they wear out.:+1:

Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39. Like @MickAP I would have exactly the same next time.

1 Like

Thanks, are you running 16" ?

Yes - 205/45 ZR16 87Y on a 6.5J x 16 wheel.

Had Khumo Ecsta HS51 16in from the disciple on my NC1 for over 12 months now and no complaints. Certainly better than the General Altimax Sports originally on the car.

1 Like

Very happy with my Uniroyal Rainsports, would recommend them.

1 Like

Been running Yokohama BluEarth-A AE50 205/45 R16 W on mine and very happy but I can only compare to the old budget tyres it arrived with!

1 Like

You will always get pro’s and con’s for any tyre. I personally have never heard of Kumho going out of round, but then I have not heard of any others going out of round either. As for handling problems after rotating, then you would need to look at the wear pattern that has been created.
I have one set of 205 45 16 you can have at a very smiley price.

1 Like

Mine are 15” but the Yokohama’s have been excellent.

I rotate my Kumho (well front to back) each year, been on 5 years no problems, handles the same, great.:+1:
Do it on my daily driver too, now they had Bridgestones couldn’t wait to get rid, harsh ride now had fitted Kumho on that too.
Maybe your tyres are/were wearing unevenly for them to feel different, can’t always blame tyre brands.

I’ve recently fitted a set of Kumho PS71’s to my NC1 (albeit 215/45/17) and after about 500 road miles scrubbing them in, I thrashed the ar$e off it around Blyton last week when the track was too damp for Nankang NSR2’s and I was hugely impressed with the grip levels and performance of them.
Doing 7 and 8 lap stints, they never went off the boil at all and held it together tremendously well.
I can only expect that come inclement weather, on the road, I can’t see why they would perform any different.
They were well priced too.

1 Like

but why ? poor grip, poor wear, noisy, what lead you to that conclusion ?

Yes, poor grip and wear. very budget feeling.
Didn’t find them particularly noisy,

1 Like

There is still no context is there?
I had some Michelins in the past, I thought they were scary. Doesn’t give much clue does it?

1 Like

I’m going to chuck in some Catnip Treaties to you lot in a minute.

1 Like

If they had poor grip, they were probably harder than you’d like.
If they had poor wear, they were probably softer than you’d like.
If they were budget… I dunno. You’ve said not noisy and it’s not either of those previous two as they’re mutually exclusive, so I’m left a little confused what you actually disliked.

I thought this thread might provide useful information, but it seems I was wrong. Unfollowing.

3 Likes