Tyres for an Mk3.5

Hey, am having to do my first tyre replacements for my mk3.5, only currently needing a pair for the front wheels but I’m planning ahead and wanting to get the right ones so that I can then replace the rears later with the same tyres. 

Currently the car has Yokohama Advan on the front, and Bridgestone Potenza on the rear, and both of these have much better versions out now, so neither is worth matching up with. 

I’m in the UK, so wet weather is obviously important, but to be honest the fuel economy and the decibels are all important to me too and I’m willing to pay the extra for a decent set of tyres for the car. (I never cheap out on tyres, it’s not worth it). 

Currently in contention (fuel/wet grip/decibels):

Bridgestone Turanza T005 - B/A/71   - Seems like a decent tyre, not too expensive, but people don’t seem to recommend Bridgestones anymore for some reasons and I’m not sure why. 

Dunlop Sport BluResponse - B/A/68  

Goodyear EfficentGrip Performance - B/A/68 

Kumho Ecsta HS51 - C/C/69 - I seem to see these recommended a lot for MX5 on here, but their actual ratings seem fairly poor… But I do wonder if it’s because they’re cheap and good in the dry for tracks or something? 

I drive my car as a daily driver, so track tyres aren’t any use to me. I’m leaning towards the Dunlop Sports at the moment, but would like to hear any recommendations out there :) 

I’m in the same position as you with the same model car. I have pretty much decided on the Kuhmo as they seem well regarded here, are a good price and are quiet.

Currently I have Yokohama on the front and some cheap and cheerful Kwik Fit supplied tyres on the rear, which are actually not bad. I will replace all 4 even though the rears have some life left.

Ian

Loads of threads on what’s the best tyres on here. Lots of differing opinions

Recently swapped my Potenza’s, which were quite frankly average at best, for the four and a half years I’ve owned the car.

Decided that saving money on tyres was a false economy. Hell they are the things that might just save my life and keep my cherished ride in one piece!

After reading some articles on them and listening to rave reviews from a club membe I splashed out on Michelin pilot sport 4. They have been great in both wet and dry conditions. I’m under no illusion that the extra expense hasn’t bought me bucket loads of extra grip but I’m pleased that I’ve now got some decent rubber underneath me…

A friend has gone with Goodyear eagle NCT and he is very pleased with those too.

Whatever you choose it appears that they will be an upgrade on what’s on now. If you are a spirited driver then I’m pretty sure you will notice a significant difference

Hi 

I bought a full set of Kumho Ecsta for my 3.5

I use it as a daily driver, they are fantastic, i would recommend.

good luck

MF  

I recently replaced mine with Avon Z5 as they were what were fitted when I bought the car. Not the most fuel efficient but pretty quiet.

I can’t comment on wet performance as I’ve only owned the car since early June.

I HAVE DUNLOP SPORT BLUE RESPONCE FITTED TO MY MK 3 NOT ONLY ARE THEY  GOOD BUT THEY HAVE A

BEAD ON THE SIDE WALL TO STOP YOU KERBING THE ALLOYS 

PARDON ?

Pilot Sport 4’s were looking to be my choice, but it turns out they don’t make them in the right size for the MX5, so that’s off the list unfortunately. 

Currently looking into continental premium contact 6’s, as they seem to be doing well in tests, though seems they wear fast. 

Whichever you choose, have a look at Costco as they are supposed to do really good prices. If you’re not already a member it’ll cost around £35 to join but the discounts are worth it.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t take adavantage when I needed 4 new tyres in a hurry due to tar contamination but if you’re just swapping out tyres due to wear and tear, they may be worth a look.

PS. They seem to heavily advertise Michelin but do most major brands.

Sorry I didn’t realise that you couldn’t get PS4’s, the right size, for a 16inch wheel

I’ve recently fitted Continental Contact Sports and found them very good, excellent feel on turn in and the ride is pretty good too.

Could have gone for the Michelins as they are very good too and if you look on their site they often have a discount for two or four tyres.

Virtually any quality make should perform well. I chose for my Mk 3 Dunlop Blue Response and have been very pleased with them especially noise level which is below 70 db. I subsequently have fitted them to our Volvo and my views have not changed one little bit. But as I said before any good quality should do you well.

My only hesitation with the Dunlops is that they are a few years old now, and don’t seem to rate very highly on the performance for wet/dry braking compared to newer tyres. This might just be bias on reviewers preferring the newer/sportier tyres though, I’m sure the Dunlops are more than good enough for me.

But as I’m planning to keep this car for the long-haul, and so would like to end up with a full set of the same high quality tyres on it, I’m just wanting to pick something that’ll last. 

Michelin PS4 are just superb, I won’t hesitate putting the same on again, they are not the cheapest but in my opinion you get what you pay for.

Wet grip is outstanding, as well as the dry, I’ve also done a couple of track days and they have held up very well, a great all round tyre.

Just fitted a set of 4 Dunlop Sport BluResponse to my lowered Mk3 2.0l which is on 16" wheels and had a standard Geo reset the week I bought it and is in v good condition.

I have done 19000 miles in the 11 months Ive owned mine on the Firestones it came with. (TQ300? about £60 ea when current).

Since I fitted the Dunlops 48 hours ago I have done 350 miles on motorway, A road, B road in dry and slight wet conditions.

This has included a number of roads I use very regularly so I can offer direct comparisons.

• Dunlops quieter (though my exhaust is so bloody loud its small comfort!)
  • Fuel consumption same/perhaps marginally better
  • Turn in markedly improved..feels like a mechanical change/refurb
  • Braking seems somewhat truer; less "writhe" under v v heavy braking
  • Much more grip under acceleration ( tcs light less illuminated)
  • Easier to get to higher speeds in corners more confidently; feels more stable
  • Despite the above ride over ridges and bumps is better (impressed that this is the case..seems counter intuitive that you can have better trun in and ride as well but have experienced the same on motorbikes)

No use in extreme wet yet and obviously after 350 miles no knowledge on wear but strongly recommend based on use to date. Hope this helps other 16" wheelers out there as I am one of the apparently rare people that prefers a lowered 16" wheeled early Mk3 to any other incarnation of the MX5