Tyres - Tyres - Tyres

I’ve been playing with my cars tyre pressures for while now. I have lowered Meister r suspension too and trying to find the best balance between comfort, road holding and potholed/poor surface roads.
I’ve found that raising the tyre pressures to between 31 and 32 psi. from cold is good for me. Plus this is my second set of ps4’s, the first set I always drove with 29psi and they wore so terribly I had to replace after minimal mileage. Alignment is perfect and the car is a daily driver 6000 miles a year.

A little bit of information for to the original question.
At a road surface temperature of plus 8 degrees the nano adhesion of the tyre’s rubber stops gripping them to the road. It decreases down to this temperature dependent on the rubber compound then the contact to the road requires tread. This is where the sipes of winter tyre tread come into play, yes below plus 8 degrees a winter tyre grips better than a summer one.
Add to this the super slippery squished leaves (the same problem as trains have in the autumn) and you have lost your traction. More importantly this lack of contact with the road surface affects steering and braking!

Never.:flushed::joy:

1 Like

michelon ps4 is an exellent tyre.
you just need to keep them well balanced!
been having mine balanced roughly every 2000 miles.
tho going to 1500 or 1000 would be better.

always worth having a balance done before any long roads trips too!

Yep. …I thought that needed to be said as getting faster is less of a problem. Where as slowing down can be. :wink:

Tyres tend to be a personal thing/area down to the owners preference of how they what them to handle and feel or budgets, for confidence in the roadster.
My 2 pence worth is Uniroyal rain sports , cheap enough, great in the wet ,great in the dry, grips in all conditions, lovely in the corners, its all we fit to all ours.
But i will also add that it is also down to the full set up to get the feel and feed back on being used, bad alignment , shoddy brakes , worn suspension, bushes and links will never help no matter what tyres you fit.
M-m

1 Like

I’m totally with Mazda Mender on Uniroyal Rainsports, I have had them on my NC Sport tech for a couple of years and can’t think of any reason to have anything else. Paul Roddison recommended them to me.

I also had them on my previous car, and we have them on my wife’s Lexus CT200h.

Can’t fault them for all-round all weather use.

Brian.

Yep the Rainsports were a favourite for me when I owned a Mk2. It was only when my nearest tyre fitters couldn’t get me a full set of Rainsports I decided to have a set of Kumhos fitted. Now have Kumho on my latest car, the PS71.

Another vote for Uniroyal Rainsport 5, fitted with a geo set up at WiM transformed the handling and not worried now about grip. Car used everyday so see’s all weathers.

Yokohama Advan Fleva V701? They are supposed to be less than brilliant in the wet but they give a better ride than the Potenzas in the dry. They look good, too.

I have the Hankook V12 Evo, which seem to suit me and my car (2.0 NC) very well in wet or dry conditions.