Undelete of inbox?

A bit of housekeeping went wrong as deleted my entire inbox rather than a few selected posts.

Is there a way of getting these posts back or are they lost forever?

Thanks

Rob

Think it depends on what email you are using. If the files were stored on your machine you could try the recover option to go back to a previous point in time. If it is on a server just check that they are not still in the trash folder on your web mail. To avoid the issue in the future best thing is to create sub folders to store important messages you want to keep for future reference. Best of Luck!

Sorry, should have explained a little better. This is concerning entire deletion of my MX5OC email inbox.

To my catholic attitudes to personal security I’d be worried if they actually were "stored and recoverable, but I hope for your purpose they are.

Do you mean emails or private messages?

Hi Bob

The private messages inbox.

Needs someone from the top to confirm but I suspect that they have gone for good.

Yes, unfortunately that would make good sense.

Rob - That’s a shame. On general e mail systems you can retrieve the last 7 days on request but that may not be enough to help you. I’d send a PM to one of the mods - I find IanH to be very helpful so worth a try. Good luck.

As Admins we have no access to or way of deleting or restoring PM folders I’m afraid.

I’ll ask the Tech team if anything can be done at the database level though previous conversations would suggest this isn’t likely to result in a positive outcome.

Thank you Andrew and Ian.

I would be grateful if the question about retrieval could be asked but if the answer is no will take it on the chin:-)

The process for entire inbox email deletion took some time to complete in my case(500+ emails) but involved me initially pressing the wrong button and then agreeing to that with a generic looking confirmation. Can I ask that given the stupidity, I mean gravity of this that a third step be added - ‘are you sure that you are stupid enough to delete your entire inbox/sentbox in one very silly, half mentally awake button press’ or more politically correct words to that effect.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

On examination I think I can recover these as PMs look to be the only thing that the forum software doesn’t permanently delete. There might be some caveats around that, such as I don’t know what would happen if both the recipient and sender delete it – it may then be permanently removed. But what I do know is that there are a lot of messages in the database that I can get back for you.

I need to do a database backup first before trying this, which will take a bit of time, but if all goes to plan you should see these messages back in your inbox later this evening.

If this doesn’t work for whatever reason, I should at least be able to give you a ‘dump’ of the messages directly from the database.

Fingers crossed!

Ramsay

Thank you Ramsay

I would appreciate it if you could do this for me. There is absolutely no urgency and if the process fails or partially fails I will still be grateful for the gesture.

Just a thought but in a business environment the data would be backed up on a regular basis in case there were to be a catastrophic event on the server system. The system could then be restored and business would continue as usual. Does this not happen with the owners club?

There are regular full backups and transaction logs, but keep in mind that this wouldn’t simply restoring a database but getting that backup and then merging it with the current live version. That’s not a simple or risk-free operation – it would take a fair chunk of time to figure out everything that needed to be merged (because it wouldn’t just be one table), making that happen, testing that some obscure thing hasn’t broken as a result of any missing/malformed data, then running the same operation again on the latest-live version

As above, not necessary anyway as the messages remained in the DB just with a flag set.