Undersealing an MX-5 which does not get driven during winter?

Hi, I’m new to the forum :wave: but not new to MX5s, the latest being a 30AE which has been largely off the road since buying in September last year. I too would like to get it undersealed as this one is likely a keeper (mainly because the Recaro seats are so much more comfortable). Can anyone recommend somewhere in the South London area where I could get this done please? I don’t mind travelling a bit (in fact I’d quite like to!). I might also go for a ceramic coating of some kind because it spends its life under a cover, which must be chafing a bit!

Hi Mad
Don’t do it the way the Mazda manual suggest to do it as I did on the first one.
This is the way I took the second side off and it is so easy. On the front wheel arch remove the 3 clips that hold the splash guard to the sill cover, then on the rear arch I removed the small plash plate at the bottom, it’s held with 2 buttons in the face and 1 underneath, I actually think you can leave this on but I removed it anyway, stick your leg under the sill and tap the front of the sill cover with the palm of your hand and bingo, catch it with your leg. I purchased replacement clips for both sides, the grey bottom ones and the green top ones from Vehicleclips.co.uk, grey clips; BP4l51SJ3, green clips; D10E51SJ3.
When I removed it the Mazda way, all the green clips snapped, when I did it my way the green clips stayed in the bodywork and if use a small screwdriver in the side you can prise then out and reuse them. To put it back on the car you need either a lovely assistant or your leg again, leave the grey ones in but slide the green ones into the cover, slide the bottom of the cover onto the grey clips and then just clip the green ones back into the body. Mazda say to tape up the rear wing where they meet and prise off the at the back of the cover, all that does is break the clips and in my case it snapped off part of the bracket on the cover, so I had to araldite it back on, if you do it my way there shouldn’t be a problem.
I hope rambling is clear enough for you.
:wink:

4 Likes

If East Sussex is not too far, you could consider The MX5 Restorer who have appeared a few times when I was looking for options:

https://www.themx5restorer.co.uk/services/rust-prevention/

Unfortunately, they’re too far down south for me and I’m having to settle for somewhere further up north :grimacing:

Thanks Jonathan, I’ll check them out although its a bit of a hike even from South London (it takes an hour just to get out of London!). I’ll need cafes to be open though…

I have a 2011 NC 2.0Ltr Sport-tech, which I bought 2 years ago as a summer fun car to drive top down on the rare spring, summer and autumn sunny days. The car had done less than 6,000 miles on the clock and it was and still is, in imaculate condition. I too keep the car in a garage all of the time I am not driving it. However, all steel based cars can get rust on exposed metal even in a dry garage. The atmosphere carries large amounts of water, especially in the winter. As your garage heats up and cools, moisture will condensate on metal. Also, it is very well known that Mazda, along with many other car manufacturers do not put sufficient rust protection on their new cars, especially in the enclosed panels.
This time last year I did a lot of investigation into car body and underseal treatment. I watched several videos on Youtube showing how the treatment should be done. In the end, I decided to get the whole car treated with Dinitrol products. All of the inter panels and the underside were treated. Cosmetic panels and undertrays were removed, along with the plastic wheel arch covers. The whole treatment cost me less than £350 including VAT. Very well worth the cost to protect my beautiful NC from the dreaded metal worm. Here are a few photos taken during the treatment…

2 Likes

Just an update to say I eventually had the underseal treatment done last month at JR Classics:

2 Likes

Fabulous car! I too have a 30AE and would like to get it undersealed, but Doncaster’s a bit of a way from south London. Does anyone have any recommendations for me nearer to home please?

1 Like

Ah, I realise you already suggested somewhere in East Sussex. I tried them but as they need the car for 3 days (which suggests they’d do a great job) the logistics were tricky.

JR Classics had mine for just over a week :+1:

You should try and get yours done before the end of October as usually that’s when the gritting starts.